Chapter 25: blues in the waiting room

a/n: 

i got addicted to piano music. The video above is not mandatory to listen to but i think it sets an accurate/appropriate tone for the following.

His pink locks went flying the direction that the wind blew. He bit his bottom lip, a habit he had developed and got accustomed to. It happened whenever he got nervous.

It took a lot of willpower for that first knock on the door to happen. He waited for anyone to open the door and let him in.

He continued to do this for another ten minutes.

But no one ever answered.

"Lucy? Mr.Heartfilia? Anyone there?" It was only until he looked around, that he realized a few things. There weren't any cars around and the property was too quiet. He cupped his hands around his eyes to look through the window, but only darkness reflected.

He called Lucy a few times but never got a response.

The heels of boots clicked on the ground, startling Natsu. "Hey kid, watcha doing?"

Natsu stared at her face for a moment. One of his early memories with Lucy involved this lady, "ah-- Aquarius was it?" He asked, tracing his brain for her name.

"The only one." It was an attempt to joke around but it didn't sound right because of the gray clouds around her. Her lips were in a straight line, "You're looking for Lucy. Right?"

Natsu honestly nodded, "Yeah it seemed like no one was here."

"Everyone's at the hospital. I don't know how to put this but," a slight crack in her voice made her speak octaves higher, "Lucy suffered a stroke." she slowly said.

There was a ringing in his ears, and he couldn't hear anything else. He saw Aquarius' lips move and a concerned look dawned upon her face but he remained motionless. He couldn't speak, move or do anything to help Lucy.

"What's wrong?" Aquarius asked. It seemed as if he was about to pass out any moment, but he couldn't hear her.

"Where?" He whispered, "Where is she?" He asked but ironically didn't stay to listen.

His whole demeanor changed and it appeared as if he quickly grew in age. His eyes were sad and in a second, he turned around to run. Where exactly?

He wasn't sure. But, he knew he had to find Lucy. "I don't want to lose someone important to me again because I was fool and allowed history to repeat itself."

He got on his car and drove off.

An hour later, he was at the hospital. It had to be this one, Lucy had told him that she visited the hospital frequently. He angrily hit the steering wheel of his car and aggressively ran both of his hands through his hair. Why hadn't he realized earlier?

It all made sense in that moment. Lucy stopped doing everything physical related because she was vulnerable. She would miss class and sometimes not even come to school for a whole week. His dad once brought it up in a conversation that she had fainted a couple times but he This whole time, she was...

Natsu shook his head, "I don't think it's fatal. It can't be."

His breathing hitched as he kept running up the stairs. "H-hey!" He heard a nurse call behind him, a possible warning for him to slow down. But he didn't care. What was most important right now, lay ahead of him.

"You're late." Sting's dull blue eyes stared back at Natsu. "She's in a coma right now." He murmured. His blond hair drooped down to his eyes, casting a shadow around his eyes whenever he looked down. "I knew you would come." He whispered. 

Natsu leaned against the wall and waited. He knew that Mr.Heartfilia was inside the room with Lucy. He had some hope that Lucy would awake, right? And when she did, he would confess.

"Yeah" he thought, "That's right. That's what always happens in fairy tales. Both of the protagonists always get together at the end and no one ever dies.  There's always a happy ending because everyone suffered in the beginning.That's what'll happen now, that what HAS to happen. I'll wait as long as I need to. I'll finally admit that I was wrong and I'll  apologize. I'll honestly tell Lucy how I feel."

The clock in the corner of the waiting room chimed letting everyone know night had fallen. Daylight was wrapped by the dark clock and the sky was filled with blotches of ink. The stars were too far and it was difficult to see them, it almost looked like they were fading. 

a/n:

 one more chapter until this ends! 

oh yeah + i'm back.