Chapter 24: Premonition

"Natsu!" The teacher called, "Repeat what I just said." It was clear that Natsu wasn't paying attention. He had been spacing out and staring at the window while scrunching his eyebrows.

Natsu slowly turned to the right to stare at the clock above the shelves. One more minute until the bell rang. He cleared his throat and slowly began to talk, "Could you repeat the question?"

Mr.Clive rolled his eyes, "I asked for you to repeat what I had just said."

Natsu nodded and a playful smile appeared on his face, "Oh, well you just told me to repeat what you just said."

Mr.Clive rolled his eyes, "Before that."

30 seconds left before the bell rang.

"So you were talking about what you said two minutes ago?" Natsu asked.

"YES!" Mr.Clive answered, frustrated by Natsu's tactics to evade the question.

"Do you still want me to answer?"

Gray laughed in the background at Natsu's stupidity.

"Nats-" The bell rang and Natsu quickly ran out of the classroom so that Mr.Clive wouldn't have to call him back in.

"Shook." Some people whispered as they left the classroom. It wasn't like Natsu to get in trouble or to not be paying attention. The fact that he was caught off guard made everyone a bit surprised, but it wasn't anything big or media worth. It was just a new change for him.

"You nervous about the game this weekend or something?" Gray laughed as he smacked Natsu's back. Natsu forced a smile on his face, and acted as if dust went into his eyes so that he could quickly wipe the tears that formed.

Natsu quickly dipped his head to the side, so that the soft pink hairs that covered his eyes would move out of the way. "Of course not, I'm just sleepy."

That wasn't a complete lie. The new scar that ran down his back had kept him at night, like always, so couldn't concentrate. The burning sensation that it caused whenever he leaned against a chair distracted him from everything outside of his own thoughts.

A sudden thought lit in his head as he spotted Lucy's friends. He wondered what all the commotion was about.

He looked at all of them, trying to remember their names. "Levy!" He pointed at Juvia.

Levy, the smallest one of the group, turned around. "Yeah?"

"What happened to Lucy?"

Levy made eye contact with Erza, as if to ask whether it was alright to let Natsu know. The redhead nodded and they walked together while Natsu, Gray and Levy talked.

"Lucy was depressed since Happy," Levy bit her lip not knowing what to say, "You know... he..."

Natsu shook his head, not understanding where Levy was going with that, 'Go on -- he what?"

Gray also curiously tuned into their conversation. "What happened? Something bad?" 

Levy slowly and compassionately nodded her head, "Unfortunately. Her cat, Happy, he.--" Levy licked her lips, feeling uncomfortable in just saying it.

"He passed away last night." Erza interrupted. She knew Levy would take an eternity before actually saying anything, so she saved them the time by just putting it out there.

Gray's eyes went round at the sudden news, "Seriously? I'm sorry for her, I'll give her a call later though." He smiled, a grim one. An old family member had passed away long ago, and he remembered the pain and darkness that had devoured his family when it had happened.

Natsu's face seemed unreadable. His eyes had no significant change, expression-wise, and his posture remained intact. He continued walking along with Gray, nodding his head once in awhile and pretending to be engaged in the topics that the others were talking about. It was as if it were any other day, plain and basic. Despite his calm exterior, that wasn't how his mind worked. He suddenly felt greater pain run down his back, as if something or someone had thrown the heaviest rock onto his broad shoulders. It definitely wasn't the pain that he felt yesterday, the pain that he felt now was different.

That was because this took him back to his childhood self. Inevitably someone special had disappeared from his life, and there was nothing that he do about it to change it. 

On another part of town, a certain blonde haired teen was silently staring out the large glass pane of her room. The vivid night had left behind the unknown. Lucy did cry, she wasn't ashamed of it either. 

The concerned looks of everyone as Aquarius had told her to sit on the chair and slowly told her of the circumstances was still lingering in her mind. Their expressions were familiar to ones long ago. 

Unknown to her, the staff was behind her door watching her brood over her pet, through the slightly open doors. A similar scenario had taken place, years ago. 

A/N: 

I said I would update 'soon' but I kinda lied... not really I just couldn't find time. If you haven't already, you should check out my other work, 'If I didn't have you' :)) I've put a bit more effort there. You shouldn't read 'Secrets' though, that one's trash.