Our First Christmas

Chrom (Modern AU)

I pick up my phone, the screen illuminating as I press the home button. I smile as I see my lock screen photo, a picture of me and my girlfriend kissing. My heart warms at the sight of her face, even though it's only a photo. Anna and I have been dating since February and we have already gotten so far together since we met two years ago. Even to the point of where we tell each other "I love you" every day.

I unlock my phone and hit the call app. I put the phone to my ear, and wait a few seconds. The person I'm calling picks up.

"Hello?" Anna asks.

"Hey babe, how are you?" I ask.

She giggles "I'm fine Blue Berry! When will you be home?" She asks.

Blue Berry... That's the nickname Anna gave me two years ago and kept it. It's even what I'm saved as in her phone.

"In a few hours. Emm wants me to finish up a few things at work, then you'll have me all to yourself!" I reply.

I hear her giggle again "Good. She's gonna give you time off for Christmas right? I remember last year, you were on a business trip with her for the holidays... that's not going to happen this year, will it?" She asks.

I start to panic a little "What? No! Nonononono, babe, I'm going to have time off, I promise! I won't let work get in the way of our first Christmas together as a couple. Cross my heart!" I say.

She sighs "I know, I know... your sister is really good about that sort of thing, but... well, the Exalt Corporation has been very busy as of late. I want to spend the holidays with you, but I also don't want to be the reason you fall behind..." She says.

I let out an exasperated sigh "Anna... I won't fall behind. The Shepherd branch of the company will do just fine. I already have everything planed out, it'll be fine! Besides, Emm's spending the holidays with her girlfriend, Phila, so it's only fair that she gives me time to spend with mine." I say.

Anna laughs "Haha! You're right. I can't wait to spend the holidays with you! I miss you." She says.

I laugh as well "Anna, we live together. We see each other every day. We sleep in the same bed, and wake up to each other's faces every morning, how can you miss me?" I ask.

I can't see her, but I can tell she's pouting "Hmpf! Well I'm TRYING to be all lovey dovey and stuff, but you have to keep it literal!" She says.

I laugh again "I'm sorry Anna! It's not like you to say things like that. You're normally such a... what's the name again... sun dried tomato?" I ask.

Anna groans "Ugghh, it TSUNDERE, you uncultured swine!" She shouts.

I'm laughing even harder now "Oh, I'm uncultured? Well, I wasn't the one who was googling the names of all the foods when I took you out to dinner at a fancy restaurant!" I counter.

She stammers a bit "I- well... Shut up! What normal person knows what a Cassoulet is?!" She asks.

I smirk "This person does." I say.

She growls "PROBABLY BECAUSE YOU WERE RAISED EATING THOSE KINDS OF FANCY THINGS!!!" She yells.

It's silent for a moment, and then we both double over, laughing.

I wipe away a tear "Hahaha! I chose the right woman, that's for sure!" I say. I truly did.

I can tell that she's blushing "Awww, well, then I chose the right man! Even if he has weird tastes!" She dotes.

Now I'm blushing "Aw come now, you were familiar with all the desserts! You can at least keep that one under your belt! You even make some of them!" I say.

"I should make peppermint macaroons for Christmas!" She suggests.

She really does love to bake and experiment... that's a good thing, for me. "Ooo, my mouth is already watering!" I exclaim.

She giggles "I'm sure you are! Oh, sorry I'm getting a call from Sumia, I need to go. Come back home soon, I recorded Elf so we can watch it later!" She says.

I feel a little sad, but I know how much she loves to talk to Sumia, and I need to get back to work "Alright then. I love you." I say.

"Love you too!" She makes a kiss noise and hangs up.

I sigh, and lean back into my chair. "I'll make sure that I spend every single holiday with you, Anna. I love you."