Chapter 1

First chapter for Wolfie in the Middle! New readers; HELLO!

 “Okay class, if you turn your text books to page 251 we shall begin the lesson,” Miss Graham ordered as she stood at the front of the class with her hands on her hips. I pulled the history text book towards me and flipped to the page I needed. Everybody else took their time as they flicked through the grimy, old books, searching for the allotted page. I sighed and almost let myself hit my forehead against my desk. Why did I come in to school? I don’t know. Actually, that was a lie. I came because while I was in this infuriatingly small town, I was on the townsfolk’s radar and being absent from school was definitely a good way of becoming noticed. Something I didn’t want very badly.

 “Because we have finally finished the topic on The New Nation we will be proceeding onto…”

Miss Graham’s voice disappeared as I zoned out of my lesson. History was as boring as it got. English was almost as worse with Algebra II and Physics in a close second. The only lesson where I actually participated well in was Phys Ed. The outdoors was were I belonged and the next best thing was using my feet to move or my hands to make. They called me a kinaesthetic learner. I called it restless. Constantly restless, that’s what I am. Throughout my life I’ve felt chained, tied down and suffocated. Mom never understood it because our condition is significantly different to others of our species. We have more freedom but I’ve never belonged anywhere so I couldn’t ever call anywhere home. I’ve always hoped I’d find it someday and I’m still holding out on that hope. It keeps me going.

 “Psst,” a voice whispered.

I blinked lazily and turned to the voice. It was Jace Bryant. A boy I had never talked to except to mumble an apology when bumping into his back in the hallways. Not that he ever heard.

 “Hey, do me a favour and pick up my pen.”

Jace pointed underneath my chair so I bent and picked it up for him. He took it from my hands and grinned. I politely waited for a thank you but didn’t get one. It saddened me that I was so invisible that being polite to me wasn’t even considered but on the other hand, invisibility was a must. I couldn’t afford anyone taking an interest in me, my family or my background. When I first enrolled at Carmel High, I didn’t expect the flurry of attention I got. I should have realised it would havehappened because of how small the town was but nevertheless, it surprised me. The popular group took an interest in me and for a moment, I almost fell for it. You’d have to be in the same situation to know what I meant. When a group of people that fall into the category of ‘town celebrity’ invite you to join their table, their parties and their hang-outs after school, it’s very hard to turn down. Not only that, but one of the junior’s, a sweet guy named Zak, asked me out to the movies. I regretfully declined. Hey, he may be a year younger than me but it didn’t hide the fact that he was a cute guy. Puppy-cute, you know?

45 minutes later, the lunch bell rang over our heads and I bolted straight for the door. I took several shallow breaths, trying to refresh myself but it didn’t work. It seemed like I’d have to eat outside again which I really didn’t want to do with it raining and all. Not because it caused me discomfort. It didn’t, because I loved the rain. The feeling of cool water on your skin, the smell of damp earth and the steady, rhythm of it falling on to the floor. Maybe I’d take a walk instead.

 Hooking my backpack on to my shoulder, I headed for a set of double-doors that led in to the school’s so-called ‘Japanese Garden’. It had a few park benches and a large cherry blossom tree I knew for a fact was the only Japanese-like plant in the garden. A slight drizzle fell on my hair and skin as I stood there staring up at the pink leaves of the tree. It looked so pretty, the pink calling to the girly side of my personality. I breathed in that much-needed breath of fresh air and let it out slowly. At once, I was calm and the feeling of suffocation left my lungs. The wind picked up and whirled my hair around and around. I almost giggled if it weren’t for the windows above me. Someone would no doubt hear me and wonder what I was doing. I couldn’t explain to anyone how I felt about the outdoors because it was linked to a larger story that no one could know. Hence why I took on the invisibility act.