Chapter 9

“He has no major dysfunctions inside the body and I no longer believe he is at death’s door. Rest and food is what this dog needs so be sure to give it to him,” the vet told Richard as he nodded his understanding.Camand I sat on chairs at the back of the room. I was perched right on the edge of it, listening intently to the vet’s orders. Banjo was my family so he was my responsibility to look after.

 “Take these meds and administer it into his food twice a day, one in the morning and one in the evening. Banjo will soon be feeling much better.”

I let out a breath I didn’t know I had been holding in.Cam gave me a reassuring smile.

 “Thank you,” I whispered to no one in particular. I didn’t know much about religions to ever believe in any God, multiple headed or not. It wasn’t very common in werewolves anyway. No religious scriptures ever mention us which means we have no connection to any of them and it suits us just fine. Werewolves have enough rules without adding a religion into the mix.

 Richard spread his arms around Banjo and lifted him up.

 “Come on,” he called over to us as he headed for the door.

 “Don’t hesitate to call me if you’re worried,” the vet toldCamwho smiled warmly and nodded. She draped an arm over my shoulders and led me out of the building. I didn’t expect the sun to be shining as bright as it was right then so I squinted and threw my arm up to cover it.

 “Wonderful day isn’t it?”Camasked me.

 I nodded and smiled. The sun always reminded me of my most favourite memories. Glancing down at the glowing hair draped over my chest, I was reminded of my mom. I like to think that I am the spitting image of her because it would be like she isn’t really dead and she’s still living right here, inside of me. But that isn’t the case. I do look like her slightly, don’t get me wrong but I also have features from my dad. The man I’ve never met, the man whose features I carry. It’s odd that I don’t know what he looks like but parts of him are right in front of me. Like my eyes for instance. They’re an extremely light green that often looks bluer than it does green. Mom always used to say I was as stubborn as he was too. I don’t know if that’s something that I should be proud of but Mom used to talk about it like it was.

 The sun was also a reminder of running which was a reminder of last night. Despite my best efforts to keep the other werewolf out of my mind, it kept on creeping back in. I didn’t know his name, how old he looked or how old he actually was. I didn’t know anything at all but the colour of his fur.

 Looking to my left I admired Banjo’s sleeping form. I buried my hand into his fur and stroked him softly. He opened his eyes and with a satisfied growl, closed them again.

 The drive home was a long one. It was odd that the nearest vet to the Ryan’s was miles away and not a few streets like I had hoped. Despite telling myself not to, I dozed off. Last night had an effect on me. How could it not? Even with my strength as a werewolf, you couldn’t just burst out running for a mile or two and not feel the effects later, especially when it all happened in the early hours of the morning.

 I wasn’t fully under the blanket of sleep yet so I felt the car lurch forward with as much force asCamand Richard did.Camcried out loudly and Richard cursed under his breath. With wide eyes, I looked through the middle and out of the front window of the car. A large, black SUV had cut in front of us and stood idle where it had come out of the road on the right.Cam’s mouth was open in shock.

 “Who does this idiot think he is?” Richard asked.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

 That was before the driver stepped out.