Page 18

In full confidence that it wouldn’t be used against me I had told Kasai when I was four that someday I was going to marry Kakashi. It was a stupid, childish thing that had never been remotely serious. Or had it?

I bolted forward with the last bit of my strength and gripped Kasai’s throat tightly, driving my claws into the back of her neck. She choked me too. Her grip was stronger than mine, but perhaps not as lethal.

“How dare you use that against me.” I growled through gritted teeth. “And how would you even know it’s like that anymore? You don’t know anything about me.” I squeezed harder and so did she. My vision was spotting. I had to do something; anything. I had to get away before I passed out.

Hardly able to move it, I flicked my left hand at her feet and spikes shot up. She jumped back causing my claws to scrape across her neck and a spike sliced her right calf. She fell to the ground and I wasn’t going to let her up. Once she was in a half pushed up position I hit her with an upward drag of my claws, sending her sprawling in the opposite direction she had been facing. She didn’t move.

I stumbled back a few steps, refusing to fall, and a few seconds of not hearing a sound ticked by.

“Round one goes to Kitto Hagane!” Shikaku announce and the crowd erupted just before I collapsed into someone’s arms.

When I woke up someone was holding my hand. I squeezed it, trying to open my eyes, but I couldn’t.

“Don’t open your eyes.” It was Kotetsu.

My lip quivered and suddenly I couldn’t hold it in anymore. “Kotetsu.” I sobbed quietly, due to my dry throat and he gently lifted me into a hug. “I can’t do it.” I sobbed and was thrown into a coughing fit.

“Here, open your mouth just a little.” Izumo said and pressed a small cup to my mouth. I sipped the cold water and then went back to crying.

“I just can’t do it Kotetsu. I’m not strong enough to intend to kill everyone, but I don’t want to lose my status. What do I do?” I continued hysterically; nowhere near able to calm down.

Kotetsu hushed me and kept me held safely against him. I was shaking and everything was still, but I didn’t feel any pain.

“Come on, just let us see her!” Naruto’s voice insisted.

“We’ll only be a few minutes.” Sakura added.

“Fine! You have ten minutes.” The man at the door caved. It sounded like they had spent a long time trying to break him down.