Page 27

“Not quite, I just wanted to talk to you.” He said as he took a seat at the edge of the bed. He didn’t say anything for a minute and ran his hand over his hair. He was clearly concerned about something. It was hard to tell if it was my well being mentally or physically, or if it were something entirely different.

“I have a bad feeling about this last fight. I know you won’t give in for anything and neither will your opponent.” He looked up at me. “If I’ve ever been afraid of you dying it would be now.” He told me seriously and I stopped pacing.

“I know you’re worried and you aren’t the only one. The thing is this is all I have anymore. This is my last chance to prove myself until my life completely falls apart. I won’t lose this fight I’ll die, because if I can’t win I have nothing left to live for.” I told him and looked down at my singed sleeve. “This is my crowning moment.”

Shikaku stood up and pulled me into a hug.

“Keep a clear head Kit. You can’t win this fight without one.” He informed me, though it sounded more like a promise.

“I will.” I told him and he pulled away.

“It’s about time.” He said let out a breath.

I followed him out of the room, down the hall, and to the arena. It was dark out so floodlights were serving as guidance for me and whoever my opponent was. Despite the late hour the crowd was still buzzing. They cheered and whistled when I came into view. I offered waves as my inability to stand still anymore.

“Alright, listen up!” Shikaku shouted and everyone calmed slightly. “This is the last fight of the night and for those of you who know the two participants you won’t find this enjoyable. For those of you who don’t, know that there is a dangerously high chance that someone will die tonight.” The crowd got more silent.

Who is my opponent? Who could be so good or evenly matched that we could devastate an entire villages psychological state?

“This last fight will be between Kitto Hagane,” The crowd erupted louder than it had before at the mention of my name. Loyalties were really being pulled together at this point. “And Kakashi Hatake.”

“No,” The word spilled from my mouth and I wanted to say it again and again.

I really am going to die. I won’t lose to Kakashi again and especially not now, here, in front of the entire village. I can’t afford to lose to him again. This can’t be happening. I’m going to die.