Page 28

Instead of watching Kakashi enter the arena I found Kotetsu and Izumo in the crowd. I locked eyes with both of them and felt my heart break into little pieces. A tear slipped down my cheek and that was my goodbye. I wiped it away with my sleeve and faced Kakashi who was now in front of me.

“You realize this will kill me don’t you?” I asked him quietly.

“It will only kill you if you let it.” He told me.

“Then it’ll be you. I won’t lose to you again Kakashi. I die or you do; maybe even both of us will. I don’t see another way around it.” I told him seriously. The numbness was already setting into my bones.

Kakashi leaned forward, close to my ear.

“I do; we live.” He whispered and straightened back up.

“Ready?” Shikaku asked gravely.

“Yes, and Shikaku? You’re not going to want to be down here. Make sure I don’t kill anyone in the audience.” I told him and he stared at me for a minute before nodding.

“Good luck you two.” He bid us.

“Begin!”

Kakashi and I both armed ourselves with kunai and it started just as our practice at the training grounds had gone. Most slices were dodged whether it was easy or not, but a few nicked us. I cut at his ankles and swooped up for the shoulder, missing both times as he jabbed ineffectively at my exposed stomach. It was clear that we weren’t getting anywhere.

I flicked my wrist at him and a cluster of earth spikes shot up. He jumped out of the way and I threw both kunai at him while he was in the air. He blocked them and exposed his Sharingan eye. A mist formed and I had to jump out of the way of the spikes that he copied.

I have to do something, but what? Is he in the air? On the ground? I said I was going to win this didn’t I? It looks like I have no other choice.

I made the sign of the bird and took a deep breath as I stood ready on the ground.

“Shi.” Hipparu formed from the inscriptions and I tried to remember what I had learned about it in previous attempts. There was just no other option at the moment and I knew Hipparu could get the job done.

I crossed the saber-like blades and drew them quickly apart, causing a great wind to clear the mist and fill the area. Kakashi was nowhere in sight, which could only mean two things. One, he’s under me. Two, he’s right behind me.