Chapter 2

Kaylee - Age 10

    "You're going to be a good little omega," a nurse cooed to the young girl. She hasn't even hit puberty yet and almost everyone keeps calling her an assumed presentation. She didn't lash out at the assumptions but knew that, if it's true, she won't be important like she hoped she would.

    This feeling of importance started only a year or two ago. Growing up in an orphan house wasn't ideal for any presentation - beta, omega, or alpha. But luckily for her, all her 'orphaned siblings' turned out beta or omega. She knew the feeling of wanting acceptance - maybe she was an omega.

    "Ma'am?" she started before the nurse lashed at her for speaking out of turn. Maybe a fear scent mingled into the air as a guard knocked on the door and asked if she was ok. Looking up to the nurse, who nodded, she relaxed. "I'm fine," she called out politely and heard the footsteps move away from the door just a bit.

~~~~~~~

    The first day at the boot camp was horrible. She wasn't really built for anything as she spent her previous days inside doing household duties for the 'alpha' in charge of the house. With each physical test, she found herself half way through, on the brink of begging someone to make it stop but she always, successfully ended with the encouragement of her siblings. For kids, Hydra was calm with the output but merciless compared with the input - until one day.

    As the weeks raged on, Kaylee was forced to stay behind in boot camp to gain more muscle as the rest of her orphaned friends moved on. As more recruits for hydra came in and left, she began being depressed about her family and angry at hydra for not letting her pass - until the Winter Soldier came to validate the tests.

    She tried her best - like she always does - but something told her not to beg in front of the man with a mask and the metal arm. The other recruits started teasing Kay about her scent as she sweated through the tests but she knew something was different with the way they were reacting to her as the majority were older - much older.

"What's wrong little orphan," one of the older boys sneered at her.

"Shut up, Mason!" Kaylee hissed at him.

    Finishing the last test and crouching down to breath some and relax her aching muscles, everyone stood at attention as the Winter Soldier started walking towards them with two others. She didn't even notice until his shadow covered her.

"Stand," he growled and she obeyed, going to join the others on one side of the line. As he looked around, he kept darting his eyes to the other two he walked with.

He came up to each person to stared them down. It was almost frightening but she's realized by now, this is HYDRA.

It was her turn. As he loomed over her, Kaylee hesitantly looked up at him. He looked better without the mask and it calmed her down.

"Name?" He asked.

"Kaylee, sir," she told him. "I don't have a last name."

He gave a quick nod and walked back to the two men. Their conversation was quiet and quick.

"Kaylee and Mason," one of the other men called. "Step out and come with us."

Present Day

"Kay?" A voice called to her. She was staring at the wall again at dinner the next day. "Kay!" The voice called - it was the Captain. "Kaylee!"

"What?" Her snapped over to him and glared. "What the hell do you want?" She hissed, trying to look mean but was embarrassed by the small daydream.