NINE

FROZEN STARS
NINE
i opened up to you and you judged me.

IT WAS early the next morning when Marley, Charlotte and a few other members of Bellamy's hunting party stumbled back into camp

IT WAS early the next morning when Marley, Charlotte and a few other members of Bellamy's hunting party stumbled back into camp. Marley's head was groggy - she'd had a restless night sleep, being unable to stay dreaming for more than thirty minutes. She was sure Bellamy hadn't slept either; there were points in the night where she felt his eyes on her as if he was checking that she was okay.

Her eyes were still adjusting to the bright golden sunlight after being confined to the cave for the entire night, with only an odd luminescent blue glow allowing her to see her surroundings.

The first person to speak to Marley when she stepped foot on the muddy soil of camp was Elijah; he came bounding up to her with a goofy, relieved grin spread across his face.

"You had me frightened there for a second," he chuckled before his demeanour became a little more serious as he took in her wary expression. "Are you okay?"

Marley gave him a small, uncertain smile. "I'm fine."

The way he was acting reminded her of Tate when they'd first met. So kind and caring so that he made her feel comfortable and protected. And whilst she knew that not everyone was pretending to be a good person to trick her into something, the thought wouldn't leave her head. It was the same with Bellamy's sudden concern and interest in her past.

She wanted to avoid Elijah, but she reasoned with herself that he was more than likely generally interested in her wellbeing; she had a somewhat warped view of her fellow delinquents and she had to remind herself that not every one of them were like Tate and some were, in fact, kind and helpful - like Monty, Jasper and Elijah.

"Marley!" A voice called from the entrance to the dropship; she turned to see the blonde figure of Clarke stood in the entranceway. "Can you help me, please?"

Marley nodded and turned back to Elijah, who was still smiling at her. His grin still retained within it a little sympathy and concern but Marley was sure that he could see the tension falling from her shoulders as she settled back into the safety of camp.

"I'm sorry, I-I've got to..." The girl glanced at Elijah's smiling face and then at the entrance to the dropship, the entrance to which was now hanging open. "I guess I could tell you all about it later."

"I'll be waiting." Elijah sent a wink in the girl's direction before turning to walk away.

Marley could feel her cheeks flushing as the boy walked away; she found herself wondering why exactly Elijah had been locked away in the skybox.