Chapter 18: Rebuilding Bridges

Darkness.  Head pounding.  Smell of vomit.  Yugi lifted his head gingerly, opening his eyes, stomach rolling at the smell.  Where was....oh, right.  Amethyst took in the surroundings. 

     Look, your body is a constant reminder...you can't save Yami.  You bring him trouble.  You were the reason he died before.

     Stifling a cry in his throat, he shakily stood.  Yami, his beloved Yami...Squeezing his eyes shut, he shook his head.  What could he do...he wasn't worried about himself...but Yami...Yami deserved the world.  The best.  And he was....looking down at himself, he sighed.

     You are weak.  Worthless.  Dirty.  A disgrace.  You probably asked for it...you wanted to be someone else's plaything.

     No!  Yugi shook his head, trying to clear those thoughts out of his mind.  Yugi stood, as tall as his petite frame would let him.  He was Alpha of the Domino Prowl.  His prowl needed him.  His sheer force of will kept him alive.  Yami may not want him, but he had to go on for the prowl.  Unbarring the door and peeking out, he saw no one.  Transforming, he took out at a run for the prowl house.

     **************************

     Yami awoke, head pounding, shoulder hurting.  Looking around, he realized the source of his discomfort.  "Damnit Seto, unbind me!" he commanded grouchily.

     Seto opened one eye and looked at Yami.  Seeing crimson instead of black, he slipped out of Joey's embrace and came to stand in front of Yami.

     "Are you done trying to destroy everything and kill me?"

     Yami hung his head.  "I am sorry about that...but please, let me out.  I can't heal properly when bound.  I am no longer a threat to anyone."

     Seto looked at Yami.  "Nope.  Don't believe you."  Yami's eyes went back to black and he thrashed in the coffin.  "Damnit Seto!  I will send you to the shadow realm if you don't let me out of here!" 

    Seto closed the coffin lid, muffling Yami's screams and shouts.  Crawling back in bed, he took Joey back in his arms and slept.

     ***************************

     "Ready to go?"  Naruto looked to the group.  Seeing no resistance, he nodded.  "Right.  Just let me say goodbye to Yami."  Walking away from the group, he went up to where Yami's office was.  Yami wasn't there.  Rubbing his neck, Naruto went down to Yami's bedroom.  Seeing Rafael cleaning up a splintered door, he smiled.  "Where'd Yami go?"

     Rafael looked at Naruto and nodded down the hall.  "Seto's room." 

     Naruto nodded, "Thanks!"  He headed down to the aforementioned room and heard muffled noises.  Raising an eyebrow, he knocked.  From the other side of the door, he heard an annoyed voice say "Who is it?"

     "It's Naruto.  I was looking for Yami."

     "Hold on."  A couple minutes passed.  The door opened, Seto standing in black slacks, shirtless and barefoot.  "Yami is in here, but I don't think he is going to pay attention to you."  Seto led him over to a dark coffin with a dark blue rope wrapped around it, emitting a soft glow.

     Naruto looked confused.  Seto opened the top and Yami glared out, eyes of onyx.  "Wh..what happened to his eyes?"  Anxiety laced Naruto's  voice.

     "He is in the Depths.  My guess is he feels guilt over what happened to Yugi."  Seto explained, arms crossed, eyes on Yami.

     "Is there anything I can do to help?  I mean, it wasn't his fault at all."  Naruto looked to Seto.