Chapter 19: Forgiven

Joey silently led the way to Seto's room.  He wanted to warn Yugi, but if he did, he feared that the fragile determination in Yugi's eyes might disappear.  Appearing at Seto's door, he hesitated, then knocked.

     Seto warily opened the door.  Seeing Joey, he raised an eyebrow.  "Since when do you knock, Mutt?" 

     Joey nodded his head over his shoulder at Yugi and Naruto.  "Oh."  Standing in the door, he looked hard at Yugi.  "Are you sure you're ready for this?"

     Yugi looked confused.  "Ready for what?"

     Just then, Yugi heard growling and snarling behind Seto.  Yugi stood tall, recognition dawning.  "Let me see him."

     Seto shrugged, moving out of the way.  Yugi walked in.  Joey turned to follow but was stopped when Seto put a hand on his chest, shaking his head no.  "He needs to do this alone."  Joey frowned, but then nodded, and stood on the other side of the doorway, leaning back against the wall ready to help in a moment, as Seto closed the door behind Yugi.

     Yugi walked in.  Looking around, his eyes lighted upon a closed coffin standing upright in the corner.  There was a strange blue cord wrapped around it, emitting a soft glow.  The sounds were coming from there.  Cautiously, Yugi crept up to it.  Gently he opened the coffin top.

     Onyx eyes met his amethyst.  Yugi gasped, jumping back.  He stared at the face of his lover.  Yami lurched his head out, snarling, gnashing teeth, drool and spittle flying.

     "Oh my...Yami..." he whispered, tears springing to his eyes.  Yami growled, snapping at Yugi.

     "Yami...what...happened to you?"  Yugi's heart broke seeing his lover in such a state.  Snarling was the only response.

     "Yami...is this because of me?  Is this...because of what I let happen...or because I left?" 

     A primal, gutteral scream was the only response.

     Yugi heard scuffling at the door.  Joey, I am okay.  This is between me and Yami.  The scuffling quit.

     Yugi looked at Yami.  He was so...primal.  Swallowing hard, Yugi walked up to Yami.  "I am going to undo this rope.  I am then going to let you out so we can talk.  You aren't an animal, and shouldn't be caged."  Slowly he walked up, untying the cord.  The cord fell away and Yugi opened the coffin. 

     Yami leapt from the coffin, tackling Yugi on the ground.  Yugi lay there, eyes wide, staring at Yami but refusing to fight back.  "Yami...I..I'm sorry.  I never meant to hurt you."  Even in a feral state, Yami was still the most gorgeous being in existence.  He felt air leaving his lungs as Yami's hands went around his throat.  As Yugi's eyes started to close, he whispered, "I love you." and leaned up, cutting off his air completely, placing a gentle kiss on Yami's lips as darkness enveloped him.

     **************************

     Yami felt pressure on his lips, and he smelled Yugi, hearing Yugi telling him that he loved him.  He shook his head.  He felt like he was waking up from a month long coma.  Looking around, it took him a few moments to realize he was in Seto's room.  Why the hell am I in Seto's room?

     Looking down, he gasped and jumped back.  Laying under his hands was Yugi.  Rushing back up, he pulled Yugi to him.  "Aibou...please, Aibou...wake up."

     Amethyst eyes fluttered open as Yugi rolled to his side, coughing, breathing air greedily.

     Yami sighed heavily in relief.  Yugi sat up, looking at Yami.  Noticing the crimson, Yugi sighed, relief flooding through him.  "Yami...are you okay?"