Chapter 5

High up in a massive oak tree at the edge of Kingsfield lands sat Blaise, he looked out across the rolling fields at the horses grazing and waited.  With his back leant against the trunk he swung a long muscular leg off the branch closed his silver eyes and breathed in the smell of Mankind, even here in this beautiful rural place the smell was present.  He longed for his home with its beauty and peace, but it would be a long time before he would see it again, that was assuming he ever would.

 A cry from above jumped him out of his dozing.  A red kite was circling above the tree.  A beautiful bird of prey with copper and black feathers.  From where he sat underneath, Blaise could see the white patches on the wings stretching to the black tips.  As the bird dropped down to the tree it shimmered and started to grow, by the time the feet hit the branch Blaise was sitting on it was no longer a bird, but a fully grown and very elderly Wizard with no sense of time what so ever.

 "Good afternoon Blaise" said Gararran of the Old World

 "Afternoon?  It should have been good morning Blaise, not good afternoon" grumpily Blaise got up.  "You know I hate the smell here"

 "Have you seen her today?" Gararran smiled kindly wrapping his emerald cloak around himself while searching inside for something, he knew Blaise was under a massive strain, and it was torture to him to sit here and do nothing.  Finally finding what he was rummaging for he handed the gilded box over to the warrior.

 "No, not today. The Dark Halfling did not appear again after Daeron chased her off, luckily for her, or she would have returned to Har'oloth in pieces” Blaise’s eyes boiled their silver colour with a rage that took even Gararran by surprise.

 "My friend her time will come, when Sara crossed her path she may not have fully emerged from the Porthal Mist, but she would have had enough power to have held her captive until she could complete the kill.  You know she is bound to the same laws as we are and cannot harm her.” 

 Seeing the anguish on Blaise's face Gararran changed the subject.  "Did you fix the horse?"

 "Yes the black mist had scored deeply into her front leg overnight but the Asëa Balm worked"

 "That is good, you know what you have to do now. The time is coming.  Make sure the protection is complete for if she falls now all is lost.  Assassins don't just come from Arantor."  The Wizard got to his feet and smiled kindly down at Blaise.  "Rest easy my friend she is well cared for, she drank the Awakening Tonic she will soon remember"

 With that, he shimmered into thin air leaving Blaise deep in thought.  Why was she not waking like the others? Was the damage the vile Halfling inflicted all those years ago irreversible?  The one thing that had played on his mind the most was her meeting the Halfling, why had she shown herself with no chance to attack.  It was not in the creature’s nature to show mercy so why had she.