Chapter 9

Sara slid into his car excitement bubbling.  She realized she did not even know where he lived.  Their conversations had always centered on her but giving very little away from his own life.  The powerful car moved effortlessly out onto the main road, propelling Sara forward into her future with this man her world had so suddenly become centered around.  Barely noticing the direction they were heading she entwined her fingers through his as he rested his hand on the gearstick, as he changed gear her hand moved with his.

After only quarter of an hour, they pulled into the driveway.  Sara realized they were in what looked like Stafford Wood an ancient wood that was filled with old and twisted trees that never looked menacing just quirky in the daylight.  His cottage was beautiful, old brick and beams with small leaded light windows that looked out over the garden.  A soft golden glow flooded out of the windows under the thatched roof. 

 Jonathan pushed open the solid wood front door, Sara gasped with delight as she stepped in.  The exposed beams had been restored back to a rich honey colour that warmed the room.  The flooring was grey flagstones with not one the same size, plush rugs were strewn tastefully throughout the downstairs and into the living room.  With its inglenook fireplace and dark green chesterfield sofas the living room was a welcoming delight.  Antique furniture that only an expert eye could have chosen were positioned around, with the plaster boarding removed between the beams of some the walls it opened the downstairs up so the light flowed easily through all the rooms.  The kitchen was natural wood and granite surfaces with all the mod cons hidden from view.  As he took her coat she slid her shoes off and watched him remove his jacket.

 Jonathan opened what looked like an ancient cupboard to reveal a state of the art wine chiller.  "Would you like a drink?"

 "Yes please, that would be great” It occurred to Sara she should be feeling nervous but she didn't in the slightest.

 She felt completely at home here in this amazing man’s home.  While he poured the wine she headed to the living room.  There was a gorgeous honey colored bookshelf that covered one wall, she ran her fingers across the leather bound books.  One caught her eye and reached down to pluck it from the lower shelf glancing back to see if Jonathan was coming, she looked closer at it.  Named simply, The Horse, she lifted it from the case and looked at the cover. It surprised her as he had a passing interest in horses but she had always thought that mainly in conversation with her.  The script the title was written in was beautiful, the letters arched and curved in an elegant way that was barely readable.  Jonathan walked into the room with two glasses of white wine, she could tell by the condensation on the glass the chiller had done its job expertly. 

 As she reached down to put the book back in its place she had to lean down to access the lower shelf.  Her necklace dropped forward away from her neck, as the necklace broke contact with her skin the writing on the book blurred slightly and the title looked to have changed to, I' Roch. She bent her knees to drop down to eye level with the book and it was clearly, The Horse, She shook her slightly to clear her vision but it remained The Horse..

 As she stood back up to turn to him their eyes met each other’s and the atmosphere changed completely.  The relaxed and easy calm vanished.  She reached for her drink feeling the sparks of electricity between them.  They both took a sip, though the wine was fabulous it didn't register.  He walked towards her and took her glass setting it down on the coffee table.  As he returned his gaze to hers her heart again took flight, the expression was back that had stopped her breath at her doorway.  He looked almost feral in his need for her, as he closed the distance between them Sara had enough time to register she loved him before his mouth crashed down onto hers.

 There was no hesitation this time, his mouth moved over hers with a force that threatened to take her off her feet.  Her hands flew round his neck, both to steady herself and to make sure he did not pull away again but instantly she realized he would not stop this time.  She matched his ferocity with her own, until his lips parted hers and his tongue slowly invaded her mouth finding hers in a dance that melted her legs.  As her legs failed her, without breaking or slowing the kiss, his arm swept under her knees and lifting Sara from her feet walked towards the stairs.