Chapter 17

To the human world it felt as if a strange storm was gathering in the dark.  The day had been fine and bright and had settled into a clear evening.  The stars had shone brightly over South Park out of an inky sky. 

 Now as the time drew towards ten the air felt restless.  Still warm it buffeted in a way it does before a big rain storm but the sky remained cloudless.  The air pressure seemed to swell, electrified somehow. Animals huddled together in their field, not for warmth, but for reassurance.  People unaware in their homes drew comfort from their duvet or cuddled closer to loved ones as they slept.

 As the clock tower above the stables started to strike the first of its ten chimes to mark the new hour, the air pressure seemed to intensify.  Anyone caught outside would have felt like the sky itself was trying to push them down into the ground.  As the tenth chime was struck, three pairs of eyes in the small stone cottage looked up and then at each other as they did the invisible pressure vanished. 

 The stars twinkled down from the inky sky over a clear and peaceful night.

 * * *

 In the cottage, Thomas had finally finished his tale leaving Sara breathless and bewildered.  Still disbelieving she has any role in this she had searched through her past for any clues to this dual life she was supposed to have and had drawn a complete blank.

 After her initial shock at her reflection in the Morton’s mirror, she had turned away from Blaise utterly speechless but as she had looked back to the mirror the image was gone. 

 The perfect elf princess had been replaced by a very disheveled version of herself.  Her legs were now clad again in the same black breeches and long leather riding boots she had been wearing. 

 She still wore the dirty and blood spattered t-shirt she had had on under her jumper. Her hair was a tangled mess of blonde, not a streak of lilac to be seen.  Blood still stained the hair at her temple from her cut that had now completely vanished, that was the only sign left of the magic she had seen tonight.  As she peered at her hazel eyes again she suddenly felt very tired but less panicked than she had earlier.

 Martha appeared behind her and led her to the sofa. As the old lady sat alongside her, she took Sara’s hand and rubbed it with her other hand. 

 “The story is nearly done now let them finish while I fix you some food then I will run you a bath, and you can relax for tonight.” 

 Thomas smiled at her and began.

 "The mirror allows you to see what is hidden from mortal eyes.  Your awakening gift was your ring not the necklace.  The necklace is the Estelgil,  it was a gift from Blaise to Linwe before the vow was bound.  He gave it to you again as Jonathan in an attempt to awaken you.  It helps you to see and harnesses the magic around you through the star." 

 “Who you just saw in the mirror is Linwe.  She is the only daughter of the Ljósálfar Elf Lord Volantor.” Thomas sat in front of her his kind eyes crinkled with a smile. 

 Sara's hand shook slightly at Jonathans name.  She didn't want to think about him.

 “Volantor has held the Ljósálfar seat at the Table of the Kings for many centuries and is the ruler of the great kingdom of En'Quessir.”  The old man's eyes grew distant as he drew from fond memories.

 “En'Quessir is a magical place even by Arantor’s standards.  The peace and beauty inhabit every hill, valley and stream.  You will find Stromkarls playing in the pools of waterfalls.  The last of the fabled unicorn race inhabit the edges of the forests bordering the Royal Valley. The Royal House itself is sited in a valley so wide it would take a swift horse three days at full gallop to reach either side.”  The smile that was ghosting across Thomas’s features failed and a darker expression grew there.