Chapter 1 - Where Else To Go?

Kath's P.O.V

     I still remember the night. The night my best friend Sofia called me, bawling her eyes out, to tell me that her parent's had been in an accident. I remember feeling so scared. Thoughts raced through my head as I rushed to the house in a complete panic, Sofia blubbering and weeping on the other end of the phone.

Flash Back

     "Listen, Sof, just stay on the phone all right? I'll be there soon, just don't hang up, ok?" Not hearing her reply, only muffled tears, I slammed on the pedal, increasing the speed of my tiny car. I turned onto her street, the once pitch black night brightened by the flashing lights of cop cars, fire trucks and ambulances. This was no mere accident.

     "Ok, Sofia, I'm here." I whispered into the phone. I sprinted out of my car and ran towards her front door.

            "Excuse me miss, but you can't be here." A burly police officer growled out, blocking my path to the door.

            "No you don't understand! She's my best friend; I have to be here for her!" I my voice shaking, tears were streaming down my face.  The officer just shook his head and waved me away. I turned to call Sofia when I saw them. My best friend's parents, the only real guardians in my own life, being wheeled away to an ambulance. I saw Sofia shaking and being held back by police officers.

            "Sofia!" I called. She lifted her head when she heard her name. She realized it was me and she hurried over to where I was standing, tears streaming down her face.

            "Everything's going to be all right, we'll get through this together." I whispered to her, while we both cried and hugged each other, frozen in time.

End of Flash Back

      Sadly, everything did not end up all right. Two weeks later, after being on life support, Sofia's Aunt Caroline made the decision to pull the plug on her sister's and brother-in-law's lives. They were too unstable and showed no signs that they would regain consciousness. Sofia was alone in the world. She was forced to live with her Aunt, who disallowed Sofia to visit her only remaining relative, her brother Louis. And she refused to let me in her house, calling me a slut and dirt and that I shouldn't be allowed to live anywhere where decent people lived. There was no way in hell that Caroline was a decent person. I was cast out to live in the streets, having no where to go. Sofia and I were left to survive on our own.  Before, we were so used to leaning on each other. Now, we had no one.

Sofia's P.O.V

     Two years ago, was the night my parents had passed away. I still couldn't believe it, it feels just like it was yesterday I was hearing them laugh, and seeing my mum busy cooking in the kitchen, with me, my dad, and Louis sitting in anticipation for whatever meal she was creating. 

            "So-feah!" A horrid voice screeched into my ear. "Get down here. NOW!" I sighed and put the photo album away. I couldn't believe I had to live here, with her, the disgusting, horrible person who is to blame for my parents' death.  I slowly moved down the hall and into the kitchen, Caroline standing by the counter, the phone in her hands.

            "The phone is for you, someone from the police station. Whatever you've done, you're on your own. Don't talk too long and don't waste all my minutes! And don't forget, you have to clean out the garage before the end of the night!" She screeched as she walked to her favourite room of the house, with the bar stocked full of wine and a flat screen TV.

            "Hello?" I asked into the phone. I never got phone calls, unless they were about something that needed to be done for Caroline.