28. The Death I Hated

(This song is so damn emotional)

[ N I S H A ' S      P O V ]

Death never knocked on the door. It came uninvited and unexpected. But this moment seemed like a death for me, a death I had no idea what to do with. Should I accept it with gaping arms surrounding myself to him or thrash, run and cry for help?

But nothing from his face exposed the reality, or the sadism he held within himself. How could he act as if everything was fine when in reality he pushed his nephew to the craziest part of himself? Rahul had lost any hope because of him. All I had seen his eyes was nothing, nothing for his future, nothing of the spark I was used to seeing.

Rahul had become emotionless, and all because of the person standing in front of me.

"How was your night?" He swiped his gaze to the floor, noticing the crumbs of food laying in there. "Didn't your parents teach you to respect food?"

I curled my hands, biting my nails to the palm. I had left this habit. Alina made me leave it by clarifying I was doing self-harm but to me, it didn't appear self-harm. It was a normal thing I did when I couldn't control my emotions. That's when I saw her face, and then the scars glorified on her arms. She too thought cutting was a normal thing but it wasn't. We both were just harming our self without even knowing it.

"What my parents taught is not your concern."

He wolfishly smiled. It did bad things to my stomach because all I wanted was to leave, run and be with my family again. His presence was ominous to my own presence. His words were lethal to my own words. He could kill me in a snap if he desired without any regret of the thought.

Where was Rahul?

"But it's mine." He stepped forward, leaning closer to me. Afraid, I stepped back and it was a treat for his smile. "You see the more indiscipline you are, the harder will be the punishment. That was just one slap." His breath coated my ear. "You've no idea what he's capable of."

Slap? Did he really think Rahul would slap me or even abuse me to slightest? He wasn't a sadistic. Rahul was a human. He cared about people, he knew his limits and he wasn't his father or even his uncle. All my life I thought nobody was worse than him but how wrong was I. Their was worse in this world, and one of them was breathing in front of me.

But I acted as if I was really slapped, knowing it would land Rahul in trouble if I didn't act.

"A slap that never happened." He announced, chilling all my nerves. Laughing, he stepped back. "Do you take me as stupid? I know Rahul more than you. He's just like his mother, gentle and scared." Rahul wasn't scared but I bit back my words. "Why would you think I brought you? Rahul will never work unless he's forced. He has caused numerous losses. He thinks I'm stupid and doesn't know it." In an instant, he gripped my hair in his hands, gripping me back. Damn, it hurts that tears arose on my eyelids.

"Leave me," I gritted through my pain.

"Say him to do my work. You're the key to his undoing, for killing the humanity he has in him. He can do wonders, but I don't know what's stopping him."

"I'll never say him."

He yanked my hair tightly, making me scream in pain. No one would come for me. Not even him.

"Don't try to act so feisty. I can do more than this and worse." His threat halted all my protests. "Say him and I'll let you live."

But what about Rahul? Was my freedom depended on caging the one person I cared the most in the entire world? Could I destroy Rahul's life to gain my freedom?