28

(Warning, some content may be sensitive to some readers.)

1 week later

Kaoru: Hey Aika

Me: Oh hey Kaoru :)

Kaoru: How've you been this past week?

Me: I've been good I guess wbu

Kaoru: It's been okay. We miss you tho.

Me: Yeah I wish I could've stayed longer.

Kaoru: Same.

Me: So what you doin

Kaoru: we're in the car home. Wbu?

Me: I actually just got back from school.

Kaoru: cool. You ready for the weekend tomorrow?

Me: yeah. I don't have much planned I'm just excited to relax tbh. Wbu

Kaoru: yeah, I'm not really doing anything either.

Me: Well, I'm sure you and Hikaru will find something to do

Kaoru: Hopefully.

Me: I'm probably just gonna chill and eat. I have no one to hang out with so why go out

Kaoru: fair enough. You don't have any siblings, do you?

Me: No...

Kaoru: Shame, they're really fun.

Me: I know...

Kaoru: How? You don't have any siblings?

Kaoru: do you have like close cousins or something?

Kaoru: Aika?

Me: Sorry, I gtg for a bit

Kaoru: Aika? Did I upset you??

Me: No, I'm fine

Kaoru:  are you sure?

Me: Yeah, I'll be ok. I just need to go do something. I'll speak later maybe.

Kaoru: okay... bye then. And if you ever need to talk I'm right here x

Me: thanks. Bye

******

Turning my phone off, I wipe away the tears growing in my eyes. Come on Aika, you're strong. You haven't cried about this for about a year now. Why are you letting it get to you? Just because someone brought up the word siblings? Pathetic.

It was a year ago. You should be over it already.

But I'm not.

Pacing slowly to the other side of my bedroom, I gently pull out a worn book from my shelf. It's slightly tatted from all the times I've use it. Flipping through the pages, I find my favourite one.

In the picture, I'm about 10 years old, whereas he's 14. We share the same glossy chocolate hair and emerald green eyes. I was always jealous of his though, they always shone brighter than mine, even through his thick, black banded glasses.

In his hand, he holds a dark helmet, and upon his face, a large, goofy grin. His arm is around me, mine around him. We're... happy.