Chapter 46: Thing One and Thing Two

-Jade-

"AHA! " Richard's face lit up excitedly, his eyes scanning Joel and I, finally settling on Joel's arm around me, as we walked to my locker. Richard was accompanied by Zabdiel, who was eating a waffle, and Erick, who was lost in his own little world.

"What?" Erick asked carelessly, not looking up from his phone.

"Look up pan dulce!" Richard smacked the back of Erick's head.

"Ow!" Erick reached up and pulled Richard's curly locks, which hung in a ponytail.

"Hey guys," Joel greeted them.

"Are you guys together?" Erick asked, taken aback.

"I've been good thanks for asking guey," Joel laughed lowly.

"So yes?!" Zabdiel asked meeting my eyes, as a kind smile spread on his lips.

"Si Zabdi." I told him, as Joel pressed me closer to him, making my cheeks flush. I was so unused to him showing his affection in public, but especially our friends.

"I KNEW IT!" Richard did a crazy, ballerina spin.

"No! God Damn it!" Erick cried, falling on his knees.

"What's wrong?" I asked, not understanding what was going on.

"Guess who has to do my eighty hours of community service?" Richard smirked evilly, glancing towards Erick.

"Who?" Joel asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Diles Erick." Richard told him, satisfaction showing on his face.

"Yours truly." Erick groaned.

"Here Erick, have a waffle bro." Zabdiel offered, sympathetically.

"So...?" I looked at Richard.

" Oh, right. Erick and I lost our community service hours chart, well we only had thirty minutes anyways, but we need eighty hours. And the only volunteering spot left is at this horse barn—" He giggled and snorted, then caught his breath again,"Disposing of horse manure." He giggled on again,"And we made a bet, based on you guys. Erick said there was no way Jade would ever date Christopher's other best friend, and I told him that Joel was a goloso who didn't give up easily. So boom! There you have it."

"So eighty hours, huh?" Joel glanced at Erick, trying to ignore the mention of Christopher's name. If he was annoyed with that, he surely hadn't shown it, and I was thankful for that.

"Yes. All thanks to you, and I thought you were my buddy." Erick stood up slowly.

The first bell rang, meaning we had five more minutes to get to class.

"Ouch, That hurts," Joel spoke up, "I still love you bro!" He yelled after Erick, as he walked away . 

Without looking back, Erick flipped him the bird, and asked Zabdi, "Do you have any more maple syrup?"

Zabdiel nodded yes, and reached into his backpack.

I opened my locker as Joel stood by my side, opening his. The metal door opened easily, once the combination had been put in, causing a pink little envelope to fall at my feet.

I picked it up before Joel noticed, and tucked it in my precalc binder.

"I saw that." He rolled his eyes, playfully.

"What?" I shrugged.

"Your underwear." He winked.

"Joel!" I pinched his arm, as Cindy walked past, glaring at us.