Chapter 47: Boston University of Arts

-Jade-

It had been no more than just a couple days since Joel had announced we were going to Italy. At first I hadn't believed him. Yes, the thought of it seemed truly exciting, but not likely. It would imply having to get a special permission to get Eli out of the country and what not. Joel was eighteen but I wasn't. And worst of all...a special permission slip signed by my parents, who still didn't know about Joel and I.

It was an early Saturday morning that we went to St.Loulou's. The sun had just risen and was covered up by big puffy clouds.

We'd gone straight to Mrs.Agatha's office ; depending on the outcome of her decision, we wouldn't see Eli just yet.

But just as we reached the door of her office, Joel let go of my hand.

"Maybe only I should talk her first?" He asked, but it was the way he said it, that made it sound like a statement rather than a question.

I didn't understand why, but he had a way of doing things, a way of convincing people. Which was something I always sucked at, and besides, Mrs.Agatha always seemed to like him more than she liked me.

"Yeah, okay. " I finally answered after a minute or so, " I suppose you know what you're doing." I added, trying to be positive.

I sat down on a tiny blue chair outside Mrs.Agatha's office. I was reading through the Ulysses's High weekly newsletter, on the website, which had a whole separate section talking about the students' predictions for prom this year. An inevitable smile broke on my face, as I realized that ,

This year I had a date to prom.

Well Joel hadn't asked me to prom yet, but I figured he would. I mean we we're girlfriend and boyfriend after all, so it was bound to happen, right?

Suddenly the door to Mrs.Agatha's office flipped open. Out came an overly excited Mrs.Agatha, followed by Joel.

"I'm so proud of you!" She beamed at Joel, hugging him.

"What'd you tell her?" I mouthed to Joel.

"Hello Jade," She smiled at me, "I'm sorry you had to see me like that, but it's not everyday that one of my mentors gets into the Boston University of Arts!" She exclaimed, happily.

Boston University Of Arts?

It's just what Joel told her to get her to approve of our request, I told myself. It's not true.

Joel quickly took a step towards her, trying to grab the letter from her grip, but it was too late.

she took out a letter, and with her thick, chubby finger pointed to the part where she read aloud, "Congratulations Joel Pimentel, you've been awarded a full scholarship to the Boston University of Arts! An early start is required on your behalf..."

I hadn't noticed the tears brimming in my eyes, no, not until I felt them rolling down my cheeks. I looked up at Joel's face, but he was looking at the ground. He wouldn't look at me.

Why was I the last one to find out?  But most importantly, why hadn't he told me was leaving?

*does spongebob voice* HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY! I HOPE YOU HAVE AN AMAZING 2017! PLZ DONT DRINK TOO MUCH TEQUILA OKEI!

-mistiquecherry🍉