Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

  Autumn Conway P.O.V

Silence. That was all that could be heard that night at the Conway dinner table. Silence with the small exception of the clanking of silver ware, and the crunching down on fried fish.  My mother made the occasional attempt to talk to my father or me about our days, since my father had just got back from work a few minutes before we began eating, but to no avail.

    "So," Alexa began, carefully taking her napkin and patting down on her mouth.  "Why'd you guys come here?"  She placed her napkin down, and folded her hands in her lap, clearly wanting to get down to business.

    Louis looked at me for a moment, trying to see if I would talk first.  His eyes pleaded for me to say something, and how could I resist those beautiful blue eyes?

    "We actually have something to tell you guys," I breathed, setting my fork down, and grabbing Louis' hand.

    My parents exchanged glances, before turning back to their food.  "What?" My dad asked, chuckling to himself, "You want to move in together?"

  My mother shot him a glare at his sarcastic tone.  "Would that really matter?"

   "Actually," Louis interjected as he rubbed his thumb over my knuckles, trying to calm my nerves while he spoke to my family, "That's part of it."

   My dad shook his head, a smile on his face, as he took another bite of his fish.  "You're moving to Asia?"

   "Dad," I whined, annoyed that he wasn't taking this seriously.  "No, we're not."

   "Then what?  I mean, it must be pretty big for you to come all the way back home to the States."

   "Well," I began, "We wanted to tell you in person that-"

   Bee Da dede do do, bee de da diddy do....

   All eyes fell on Alexa, as her facet turned a deep shade of red.  She pulled it out of her pocket, trying to silence it.  "Stupid phone," she mumbled, shoving the Samsung back into her pocket.   She looked around the table for a minute, before realizing that we were all waiting on her.  "Go on."

   "Well, as I was saying-"

  "Hun," my dad interrupted, looking over at my mom. "Can we have that dessert now?"

    I let out an annoyed sigh, as did my mother.  

   "Of course," she smiled, trying to act happy.

   "Well-"

    "Ah-ah-ah," my father interjected as he raised a finger.  "Wait for your mother."

   I tried my best to not throw my fork at the wall as the anger inside me.tried to take over. Louis continued to rub his thumb over my knuckles.

   It was only a matter of seconds before my mom returned, her famous raspberry tarts in hand.  She set them down in the middle of the table, setting her mits next to it.  Taking a seat in her chair, she smiled at me.   "Continue."

   I took a sigh of relief, before shooting a glance at my dad.  He was engulfed in his tart.  I turned to Louis, and he gave me a warm, comforting smile. I could do this.

  "We're pregnant."

   My dad nearly choked on his tart, taking a few seconds to process the information through his brain. I held my breath and squeezed Louis' hand even tighter, preparing for the consequences.