1

"Ok look. If the fire is here and...hello?" Captain Stanley stopped short at the sight of his crew talking.
        Roy and Mike turned in their seat to face Marco and Chet. "Huh? Oh sorry Cap. We were just wondering if we could make the guy filling in for Gage our full time cook again" Chet said laughing with Marco.
        Roy shook his head and pondered the suggestion. "Yeah. Because that worked so well last time" 
      "I'm sure I can whip up something you'll like" a voice replied. All five turned to see a woman in a paramedic uniform standing in the doorway to the rec room.
       "Hi" she said with a dazzling friendly smile "I'm Genevieve Foster. I hope I have the right place?" "Sorry I don't think so. This isn't Hollywood but I'd be happy to escort you there" Chet said raising his eyebrows and giving a flirtatious awed look to the young lady. She blushed hot pink.
       Roy on the other hand had seen this beautiful girl somewhere before. Middle school 1961. They were sweethearts together for four years and very much in love even at their young age. People thought they were crazy and foolish; that their relationship wouldn't last, but they didn't care. 
        Roy remembered when he first met Genevieve. She was very shy and modest. Genevieve hadn't a friend in the world except for some of the adults in town. She was nine in the 6th grade but Roy hadn't know that at the time.
        Genevieve had also been in an orphanage since she was one year old with not even the slightest clue of who her parents were. As Roy got to know her he discovered that she was a mature, talented, patient and extremely kind girl even to those who hated her and despite what she'd been through in life.
       Roy came out of his memories as Genevieve walked up to the group. would she remember him? It had been such a long time.
      "Thank you but I know where Hollywood is. I'm looking for the captain of station 51." Genevieve said in her soft but firm voice. "Well that's me. Captain Hank Stanley at your service" Cap said and they shook hands. "I'm very pleased to meet you Captain. I'm filling in for John Gage is that right?" 
      Everyone in the group looked shocked except for Roy. Genevieve had aspired to be a firefighter and it didn't surprise him that she had met the standards.
      "Well I guess so i-if that's what you were told to do." Stanley exclaimed still very surprised by this lady's presence, " Uh uh this is the crew!"
      The guys tripped over each other as they lined up eager to shake her hand. Ironically Roy ended up last in line.
      He was still wondering if she would remember him. Did he even want her to? Roy had promised not to leave Genevieve and to be hers for forever and he had broken both of those promises. Their departure had been hard on both of them.
      "Chet Kelly. I'm pretty much the best firefighter around here ya know." he said trying to make it sound modest. Genevieve thought hard for a moment and then her face lit up. "Oh yes! Chief warn...uh told me about you." Chet's smile dissolved at her slip.
      Genevieve nervously moved on. " Marco Lopez. Mike Stoker" Captain Stanley introduced. They both shook hands with her. Then it was Roy's turn. "And that's Roy DeSoto, your temporary partner"
       When Genevieve turned to Roy his breath caught in his throat and his heart started pounding.
      She was more beautiful, if that was possible, than when they were kids with her sapphire eyes, soft clear skin, and rose colored cheeks. Her eyelashes were long, full, and dark and Roy knew that when her silky black hair was down it reached her waist. She was strong yet as delicate as a butterfly's wings.
        Roy gently grabbed her hand to shake it but they were both surprised by a sudden tingling sensation that pulsed from their fingertips to their hearts.
      Genevieve's eyes widened a little bit as they looked at each other. "Roy" she repeated. Roy's heart beat faster. "It's an absolute pleasure to meet you partner" His heart plummeted. It's a pleasure to meet you? She didn't remember.
     "Will you excuse us for moment Miss Foster." Cap said "Why don't you let the men fix you a cup of coffee. Roy." Roy let go of Genevieve's hand as Cap and his long stride walked out of the room.
      "I'll be right back because...uh yeah well you know he uh Cap..." Genevieve nodded "It was nice to see you aga- er um meet you too" Roy stammered. Great now she thinks your an idiot Roy thought but Genevieve just gave him a warm smile.
      Roy left the room leaving Genevieve with the rest of the guys. An awkward silence spread through the room and stretched on forever. Mike shifted positions and Chet cleared his throat. 
      Pursing her lips Genevieve wandered over to the table in the kitchen . The guys rushed over and pulled out chairs for her. Genevieve didn't choose any of them but instead leaned against the table.
       They quickly sat down as if they had pulled out the chairs for themselves instead of for her. "Could we get you some coffee" Mike Stoker asked shyly. "No thank you. I don't really drink coffee."
       They fell back into silence. Some of the other stations Genevieve had been to had been a little unsure about having a woman firefighter at the station and being part of their crew but at least they talked! This was just unbearable. 
      Genevieve couldn't take it anymore. "So do you always have these kinds of conversations where you need to be able to mind read to join in." Genevieve joked.
      Mike shifted again as Marco said "Well it is kind of strange ya know. We don't have a woman in our crew at station 51." Genevieve nodded; her face and neck turning hot. She was already extremely shy, though she tried her best to hide it, and this wasn't helping matters.
       Suddenly Chet's hand flew to his head and let out a painful groan. "My head hurts" he mumbled. Slowly he got up and stumbled a few steps away from the table. "Hey Chet come on this is ridiculous" Marco called, "You already tried this once. Stop fooling around!" 
        Chet fell to his knees and rolled on to his back before falling unconscious. "Are you sure he's kidding?" Genevieve asked in alarm and rushed to Chet's side sliding on her knees. Mike stood up as Marco folded his arms. They knew it was a joke... wasn't it?
        Immediately Genevieve checked his respirations then his pulse. She put and ear to his chest to listen to his hear. Genevieve didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. She checked his eyes his temperature. Nothing was wrong with him. He was faking. Well, Genevieve thought, I'll just play along.
       "Lopez!" she called "Get the defibrillator STAT! We need to fibrillate: 400 WATT seconds." Marco stared wide eyed. "You mean... he's actually hurt?" he exclaimed. "Now!" Genevieve answered. 
      Marco ran out of the room panicked. Genevieve could see that Mike suspected something but just wasn't sure.He kept quiet; concerned but not too convinced.
      Genevieve looked back at Chet. If she hadn't been a trained paramedic from the first class to go through, she would have thought Kelly was really hurt. Perfectly still. At least he'd make a great actor. 
      Seconds later Marco returned with the defibrillator. Genevieve grabbed it and set the number. It let out a piercing, whirring, sound as Genevieve counted.
      "One... two... three... four hundred WATT seconds. Clear!" She yelled but held the defibrillator out to her side far away from Chet. "No!" Kelly yelled suddenly and sat up as fast as he could.
      Mike plopped back down in his chair and Marco brought his hand to his heart. Genevieve acted overly shocked.
      "I'm so good I healed you with the force" she exclaimed. Chet rubbed the back of his neck "I was uh...I was faking" Genevieve smiled and shook her head. 
      "I know Kelly. It's okay. It's good practice anyways." Genevieve helped Chet up and then closed up the defibrillator. "I better put this back for someone who really needs it" she said with her bright smile and then left the room.
      "Your such an idiot Chet! Next time no one's gonna save you. Plus Genevieve probably thinks you're a jerk now." Marco said once she left the room. Chet shook his head dreamily "But it was worth it. I mean did you see how close she was to me?!" 
      The guys stared after Genevieve. "Boy she's one amazing girl Isn't she" Chet said trying to get another look at her. "Yeah she was really on top of things" Mike agreed. Chet gave a sly look. "That's not what I meant Mikey"