6

Dr. Brackett poured over records, notes and stray papers trying to keep himself busy. It's all important things he told himself then stopped. No it's not! I'm just making a big mess!
      He angrily started to put things back in folders and draws. Once Kelly's desk was clear and organized he looked around. Now what?
    He sighed and sat back rubbing his face. It had been a long hard day with cranky patients and more than a few life or death situations. Kelly had made all his rounds. Filled out and reread all his papers. Listened to a tape on a rescue he'd handled.
    The bottom line was there was nothing left to do and it was time to go home. But the head doctor didn't want to go back to his quiet apartment where all he had to do was think. He didn't want to think.
    There was a knock at the doctor's door. "Come in" he called quickly pretending to be absorbed in his work. "Kell" a familiar voice said "You've got the whole hospital staff worried about you"
    Dr. Early closed the door behind him and sat down. Kelly sighed "Did they send you in to ask what my problem was Dr" Joe tilted his head slightly to one side. "Well?" He asked. "I don't have one!" Kelly snapped looking up at his best friend.
      "Really?" The elderly doctor questioned. Dr brackett stared for a moment before looking back down at his papers "Really"
    Kelly groaned inwardly as he remembered his fainting episode when Genevieve came in, but that wasn't all. He'd been jumpy and snapping at people all day. Also nurse Samantha had caught him staring at an injured little girl; his eyes watering the whole time. He guessed she had told.
    Joe shook his head. "You're out of character Kell. We're just worried for-" "I don't need your concern. I need you to mind your own business" Dr. Brackett growled. He could suddenly hear his own voice echo in his head. The sentence was angrier than he ment it to be but it was to late to take it back.
    Dr. Early looked down at his hands"Ok kelly" he looked back up "If you don't want to talk about what's bothering you that's fine. Just know Dixie, Mike and myself are all here if you need us." Feeling that he'd said all he needed to, Joe got out of his seat and left.
    Kelly felt bad since his friend was so nice and so patient but as soon as the door clicked shut he unlocked his bottom desk drawer with a key from his pocket.
    Gently he pulled out a photo of a beautiful, delicate baby girl with sparkling dark blue eyes and black wavy hair. Two boys stood on either side.
      In the middle of the picture  holding the precious bundle was a smiling memorized father. Kelly Brackett "Oh Genevieve" he whispered.