Part 2

Genevieve crossed her legs, like a lady should, and smoothed her skirt, like a lady should, and snapped a pencil in half... like a lady shouldn't.
      The ringing of the department's phones, the sound of a typewriter, and her own clock was driving Genevieve nuts. The blank white walls made her feel closed in and cold. The nameplate on the door boasting G. Foster was getting on her last nerves. Even the incredibly neat wooden desk in front of her was annoying the heck out of Genevieve.
      Who's bright idea was it to give me a taste a freedom? She fumed silently in her rock hard chair, Just to feel alive again... like I'm doing some good in the world! Just... one more time...
      Genevieve nearly fell of out her chair when someone knocked on the door. She looked up with a hand on her chest. "You alright Foster?" McConachie asked. "Oh yeah... fine cheif"
      He stepped in and lay some papers on her desk. She looked at them blankly and shook her head. The cheif had to hide his amusement. "Listen, I know you hate to get out of the office, but I need someone to fill in for a sta-" "Me! Me! I'll do it" she cutting in and standing abruptly.
     McConachie laughed "Alright! Alright! You're hired" Genevieve rubbed her hands together. "Great! Which station am I going to? 36? 10? 8?"
      "51"
      Genevieve furrowed her brows. "51?" She asked, "but I just filled in for 51- not that I'm complaining Cheif, I'm just wondering why?" He shrugged. "Johnny Gage is back but Roy is sick now. Must have been that boat fire.  Heard he got pretty soaked. I'm just glad we didn't lose him"
      "Me too..." Genevieve said dreamily. Mac laughed again. "So I take it you like 51 and the people there" he commented but got no response. "Hello? Genevieve? Ginger?"
      Genevieve suddenly became alert and smiled widely. "I better get going! Bye Mac!" She said rushing out of her office and then out of headquarters.
       McConachie stayed in her office for a moment and looked around. She had a group picture of everyone at headquarters, including herself. On her desk there were more pictures of her hanging with the guys at the fireman's picnic, her and Craig Brice at their first station, and her uniform picture. One of her extra uniforms hung off of a filling cabinet.
      McConachie sighed sadly and dropped his head. She's such a good paramedic... I hope she gets an official station soon.