ohmfg the story's coming to an end

Dan's POV

I lean against the side of the building and groan quietly, kicking at a rock that was next to me. We've been standing outside the building for at least three hours and still nothing. 

"Ow, will you stop kicking the rocks?" PJ asks and throws the rock I just kicked at him back at my foot. He was sitting next to me on the ground, waiting as well.

"I'm just bored," I groan and sit next to him, setting the gun next to me as well. 

"I thought you knew what you signed up for!" PJ chuckled a little bit and nudged into my side. "Just keep telling yourself, you might see Phil tonight. That should be enough motivation to stay focused!"

"It's definitely enough motivation to stay here and deal with the boredom, but I'm not very good at focusing, you know that," I nudge him back and he chuckles before it grows silent again. 

"Are you scared?" he asks me and I look over at him to see him looking genuinely nervous, when he's usually up for anything.

"Nah," I say and kick another rock. "This isn't the first time I've held a gun, not the first time I've been in a situation like this, hell, I've seen death before. I'm not scared." I say and chuckle, but he just nods. "Don't worry, you've got a gun, the police officers are all here, it will be okay!"

"You're seriously not nervous at all?" he asks and looks at me again.

"I probably will be if you keep asking me,"

"Sorry," he mumbles and pushes the gun that was next to him further away so that it was out of reach. 

"No it's okay, and when I say I"m not scared I guess I should rephrase that. I'm not afraid to go in there and throw myself in front of a bullet or get into a wrestling match with the most wanted man in the world, but what I am scared of is that this won't work. I'm afraid that we're wrong, or Dameon will slip away with Phil and we won't have a chance to save him again." PJ just nods again, sighing quietly. 

"I get that." he says again and bites his lip. "I'm just terrified all around. What if I get shot? Or choked or killed or something," I laugh a bit as he screws up his words. 

"Don't worry, I'll protect you," I say and he giggles. 

"Oh now I'm really screwed," he laughs making me scoff and hit him lightly on the arm. "What do you think Chris is doing?"

"Probably yelling at Officer Little, trying to get him to come and help protect you," I say and make Pj laugh again. 

"That seems like him. I'm glad he's not in this though. I mean, if he got hurt, I don't know what I'd do," I nod, understandingly and just stare off into space, picking up the gun and lightly running my fingers across the weapon. It's weird to think that I'm holding a symbol of death in my hand. "So are we staying here the night do you think?"

"Probably, since that they can come during the night and try to break in," I reply. "If we do, I call first one to sleep," 

"Jerk!" he retorts, making me laugh again "Chris?" PJ asks as he looks past my shoulder. I turn to see Chris hobbling over to us on his crutches, face sort of flushed as he seemed to be sweating. 

"You're not supposed to be here! You could get hurt!" I say and he just bites his lip, sitting down next to Pj. 

"No," he says and he practically looks like he's seen a ghost. "They told me to come over here because it's safer back here. Dameon and Phil, they went in," I widen my eyes and look at PJ, before grabbing my gun and beginning to stand up.