Frank and Sarah

Sarah and I were quietly washing the dishes. I didn't know what the silence stood for. Was it a good sign?

Sarah banged a dish too hard. It broke. The pieces fell on the sink and Sarah cut her hand by mistake.

'Sar? You wanna rest?' I asked worriedly.

'No! Why would I ever want to rest! I'm a woman, so I'm a machine! Wake up, do the chores, entertain my boyfriend and go to sleep. If my boyfriend wants to have fun, so be it. Who cares about me feeling tired?' Sarah said, sarcasm dripping off every word.

'Sarah, you know that's not true. I care, and so does Matt. It's alright—'

'Don't you get started on Matt!' Sarah shrieks. 'I've known him longer! And he is such an ass! Scared to admit who he truly is! Trying to cover it up!'

Sarah glared at me.

I stared at her, exasperated. Sarah's expression softened.

'I-I'm so sorry Lib. It's just that all this—'

'Shh. You don't have to be. You have every right to be angry. Seeing the way Frank's treating you nowadays,' I shook my head.

'I can't take it anymore, you know? It's all so fucking messed up. I can't even deal with this!' Sarah sounded desperate.

'Then don't,' I almost whispered.

'What?' Sarah said looking up.

'Then don't,' I said, feeling bolder this time. 'You don't have to go through all this. Sure, you can remain friends. But the way I see this relationship, it's not going to last. Sooner or later, it'll break. I don't want you to get hurt. So, it's best to end it in a civil way, without hurting each other.'

'Lib, are you suggesting a breakup?' Sarah said softly.

'It depends on how you see it,' I said feeling confident. 'I'm suggesting an escape, a retreat, for both of you.'

'But Lib,' Sarah said, tears springing to her eyes. 'I can't.'

'Why not?' I asked Sarah, feeling confused.

'Libby,' Sarah said.

I braced myself.

'I'm pregnant.'

Wait, what? I thought that Frank was hitting her, or maybe they were engaged. But this? It left me a bit unnerved.

'Oh.' That was all I managed to say to my sobbing best friend.

'Hey, hey, hey,' I hugged Sarah.

Sarah sobbed uncontrollably and soaked my shirt.

'Shh, shh. It's alright. It's all fine,' I crooned as I patted Sarah.

'Does Frank know?' I asked.

'N-no,' Sarah sobbed uncontrollably.

I wondered what would happen if Sarah did tell Frank. Would he run away from his responsibilities? Would he happily embrace it?

'D-do you think it'd be fine if I still broke up and had an abortion?' Sarah asked pulling away from me, breaking my chain of thoughts.