Funeral

I avoided eye contact with my brother the next morning, refusing to speak to him. Still in shock and discomfort at what I had seen; I shivered at the thought. He resorted to sending me text messages to try and talk to me but I ignored them too. I was in the lounge waiting for Jim when Damon attempted to strike conversation.

"What're you wearing this for?" He said, gesturing towards my clothing. "You look like you're going to a funeral." I was dressed in a barely used, white dress shirt, a black blazer and tie, a pair of black chinos and my most black Converse trainers. As a 16 year old, I hadn't attended many, in fact, any, funerals, and didn't think it would ever be this kind of situation.

"Yeah, I am." I replied monotonously, hoping my tone of voice would get the message across that I really wasn't in the mood to talk to him. To my dismay, however, it only egged him on. Luckily, as he opened his mouth to carry on the ever so delightful conversation that we were having, the door bell rang. Saved by the bell.

I answered the door and saw Jim standing alone in an expensive-looking, black, three piece suit.

"Morning Jason." He smiled briefly. "You ready?" I checked I had my phone and yelled a goodbye to the household. "Sam's waiting at home. He doesn't know you're coming but I know he'll need you," he told me as we got in the car.

When we entered the house, I saw Sam sitting on the couch in the living room, completely spaced out. He jumped when Jim closed the door a little too loudly, turning suddenly in our direction.

"J- Jason?" He asked, doing a double take, eyes wide. "Why are you here?"

"To pay respect to your father." He nodded. "And to see you." I added, smiling. His face perked up and his eyes brightened slightly.

"But you saw me yesterday." He whispered as I walked over.

"But today isn't yesterday." I returned.

"Today isn't yesterday. Nor tomorrow. Today doesn't exist. Time is just a construct built by human beings-" Jim began, monotonously.

"Shut up Jim you ruined the moment!" I cried jokingly.

"Well I'll be in the car." He called, closing the door lightly behind him.

"You OK babe?" I asked once he left. Sam nodded. "You sure?" He nodded again.

"I think so." He paused. "We should probably go now. Don't want to keep Jim waiting." He muttered quietly.

---

"Who are these people?" Sam asked as we pulled up outside of the church. It was old, and several slates had fallen off the roof over the years, and parts of the once delicate carvings were crumbling away, leaving disfigured angels. Some of the stained glass windows had sections covered in chip board, most likely after being smashed by teens out for a laugh. The graves around the front of the church seemed to be older and had moss growing on them, and the names and dates, which were slightly less readable, dated back to the Victorian times.

There was a small group of people standing around near the entrance, all dressed in black, and the couple of women were donning some kind of hat that was at an angle for some reason. As we got out of the car and walked closer, I could notice one of the women, accompanied by a man, were much older than the rest, at least by a generation or two. They were obviously more distressed than the rest of the group, so I guessed they were Sam's grandparents.

The only other woman also accompanied a man, but as we neared I saw from his and her body language it was more of a platonic relationship. There were five other men, around mid-forties. None appeared to be physically distressed but it was most probable inside they were bawling their eyes out.