1.

Anonymous

One more push, Mrs. Marin,” she said as the patient closed her eyes and began to push again.

“Almost there. You're doing great. Don't stop pushing.”

“You got this, honey. Our bundle of joy is almost here,” Mr. Marin said as he placed a kiss on her forehead and kept his hand in hers.

“Almost! Almost!”

Waah! Waah!” The baby cried.

“Congratulations! You have a beautiful baby girl.” She said as she let Mr. Marin cut the umbilical cord.  Afterwards, she placed the baby on the mother's chest and watched tears leave her and the husband's face.

“What are you going to name her?” One of the nurses asked as she took the baby to be cleaned.

“We're naming her after Dr. Maureen. Maureen Marie Marin.”

“I'm honored!” Maureen said as she hugged her patients.

Another successful day.

--

--

Claire Maureen Leonora Wilkes

Mo, you're off the clock already?” Harrison asked.

“Yes, doctor, and before you ask, I've delivered 5 babies and 2 sets of twins. I am officially off for the rest of the week.” I said as I walked away, but was soon stopped at the feel of hands around my arm.

“'Doctor?' Why so formal?” He smiled as he came closer to me.

“We're still having dinner at my place tomorrow night, right?” he asked.

“I'm not sure. I'll have to make sure I'm free.” I responded.

“But you just said you're off for the remainder of the week.”

“I'm aware of that, but because I'm off doesn't mean I'm not busy. I have something to do, but I've forgotten about it for the moment. I'll remember soon.” I said as I left, this time, without being interrupted.

I stepped into the elevator thinking about how well I was going to sleep tonight. Take a long bath, order food, and have a stress-free night. My fantasy was soon interrupted by my ringing phone.

“Yes, mom?” I answered.

Hi, my little Clairey Maurey. It's 8:17 at night. You're off now, correct?”

I sighed, already knowing where this was going.

“Yes, ma'am. I am, but--”

Great! The book club is here, and I'm sure they'd love it if you came by.”

I'm not sure if I can make it tonight, ma. I've--”

Maureen.” My dad's strong voice rang through the phone.