Chapter 19 Here Goes Nothing

"I got a little drunk last night."-Eli Young Band

Jake's P.O.V.

"I think that went really well." Aiden says as Nellie is wheeled into her room. 

"She told me she saw her dad while she was in a coma. I know Nellie's not crazy but I can't wrap my head around the fact that she really saw him. Does that even happen?" 

"What's wrong with her seeing her dad?" He looks at me confused.

"Her dad died when she was ten." 

"So she saw him?"

"No, she spent the entire time she was in a coma with him. That's just what I don't get. How can you spend that long of time with someone that's already dead? That shouldn't happen." I look down at the counter and the secretary Sarah is just listening in our conversation.

"I don't think any of us can really understand what's going on. She did die for some part right?" I nod. How is any of this even possible? She couldn't have been with him for that long when she only died for a few minutes. But did those few minutes last longer to her than us? 

"Do you think that she was just with him for then?" 

Rayne appears from Nellie's room and gives Sarah the file.

"You can go in there now." We both nod and begin walking down the hallway to her room. Here we go. I look in the room and see Nellie has two IV's in her arms and something to help her breathe. She smiles as we walk into the room but I can tell she's exhausted.

"Tired babe?" She smiles.

"I had to give her a bit more today so she can handle the pain. She may start to get a little bit loopy." I look back over to Nellie and she's passed out.

"Or she'll fall asleep. Sorry boys I couldn't get her to stop crying about her legs so I may have put a lot in to help her. I hate seeing her in that amount of pain."

"Come on Aiden, we can go grab something to eat while she takes a nap." I turn to Rayne, 

"Text me when she wakes up so I can head back over here."

Aiden and I leave the room and head for the elevator. 

"I like her Jake. I think she's really good for you. Just remember that she's never going to be like mom. She's not going to get up and leave, and she sure as hell isn't Nahla."

"You don't think I know that? I know how special she is."

"That's not what I mean." I turn and confusion floods my mind. I know Nellie's special, I just didn't think he'd make this big of a deal from it.

"Don't think for a minute that she's going to be like everyone else. We both know that she loves you because she's stuck with you for that long and didn't leave." I nod. 

Am I missing something? I've told Aiden a thousand times how much she means to me and now he's preaching to me to not let her go? How could I?

"She's the one that pulled you away from the drugs and all the fighting. I don't think I'll ever be able to thank her for how much she's been able to do for you. She saved you when I wasn't able to." 

"Enough with the deep shit, let's go get a beer."

"Where are we going?"

We pack into the elevator along with nurses and other families. Aiden starts checking out one of the interns and begins making conversation with her.

"I'm Aiden." She turns around and smiles.

"Daniella."

"What are you majoring?"