Chapter 3

I watched as Cinna walked from the room and didn't know what I said or did. I felt bad maybe I hurt his feelings or offended him. I sat there in silence for a moment before a dark skinned male brought me to my feet and dressed me in a long black costume. Oh great I thought to myself more fire.

"Don't worry about my dad, he is a bit sensitive about my sister. She barely made it out of the arena last time and he is scared for her." The male said.

"Cinna is your father?

"Yeah can't you see the resemblance? The name is Ace Eamon."

I shook his hand and smiled. "I'm er.... I'm uh.." Great I am already sounding like a moron.

"You are Aloe, my father speaks highly of your family and their bravery. This is my first year as a stylist. Family business for the males of the family." He finished.

I smiled and nodded. "That's my name. Aloe... Aloe Mellark."

He chuckled a bit. "I hope you aren't afraid of loud noises." he added as he put some finishing touches on my uniform.

I shook my head slowly. "No, loud noises are okay but what is my costume supposed to be?"

He moved towards a tv and hit a button. Instantly a video played of two people in the suits 10 seconds passed by and a loud bang sounded and smoke engulfed them for several seconds before it cleared. The two were now in a suit that seemed to be on fire. They didn't scream or burn so I knew they were okay. Slowly the fire faded and they seemed to be covered in blood and ashes. Then the tv went blank.

"That's what I'm wearing?" I asked him as I looked shocked.

Ace nodded his head. "Haymitch is going to be wearing a miners outfit that does the same. Are you okay with this concept?"

I nodded my head and took a deep breath. "I don't have a choice do I?"

"About that..." He began.

Cinna walked into the room and his expression was a bit more cheery. He pulled his son over and they talked before his son quickly left the room. Cinna nodded to me and took my hand before he led me from the room to the underground floor where I would be making my appearance with Haymitch on the horse drawn carraige.

"I am sorry if I offended you Cinna" I whispered to him as the elevator doors closed and we began heading downwards.

"You didn't offend me at all Aloe." He spoke briefly.

The rest of the 20 second ride downwards was in complete silence. Soon I was joined by Haymitch and we were moved over to our carriage. I stopped as I saw the familiar girl I knew to be Katniss Eamon walk by dressed in a sheer diamond body suit. It was really pretty and made her seem like she was wearing nothing but diamonds. The male tribute who was tall with pale white skin and black hair wore the same.

They loaded up into their carriage and within a second it began moving. Several screams and loud cheering were heard and it reminded me of the year my mother and father were here for their first time.

Within the next few minutes the other tributes moved and then it was our turn. We headed out into the opening and began our circle with the other tributes. A few eyes were on Haymitch and myself but they were quickly stolen away by District one. That was until our costumes began smoking before sparks began and then a loud boom emerged us in a large cloud of smoke. In less then 10 seconds the smoke cleared and Haymitch and I looked to be covered in coal ash and blood. Every eye was on the two of us and then one by one several people joined us in a round of applause.

Several of the other tributes now had their attention on us as we did our final circle and made our way back into the under ground. The moment we stopped I jumped down and quickly looked around. Where was my mentor at? Just then Katniss passed by me and I quickly moved to her side to get her attention.

“Hey I’m Aloe.” I introduced myself.

She stopped in her tracks and extended her hand. “And I’m-“

“Katniss. Your father told me about you. You were named after my mother.”

She nodded her head and smiled. “Yeah my mother and father met while your parents were tributes. My father was worried about her as she went into the arena. My mother was a stylist for District 1 and they both began talking then one thing led to the next.”

We headed up from the bottom of the building to the dining area where we took seats at a table and continued our conversation.

“So you won the Games 9 years ago?” She asked me.

I nodded my head. “I won the Games but lost my brother. What about you? I don’t really remember seeing you in any years after what Games did you play?”

“I was 16 when I won.”

I nodded my head. “That was the year before I brought District 12 it’s first Victor after 11 years. Are you afraid?” I asked her.

She took a bite from her white rice and nodded her head. “Of course I am afraid anyone who says different is a liar. I mean the boy from my district is a bully and hates me because I beat his score in Career training so I can bet he wants to be the one to take me out.”

I turned and looked behind me and saw the boy she was talking about. If looks could kill I’d be out of the competition before it even started.

“So you are a Career?” I asked her.

“Yeah it was my fathers’ idea. Since that year I almost got chosen he’s been pushing me to it. I have the fifth highest score.”

“Just a few years ago I pulled together a group that helps teach skills like the ones that saved my life and my parents life in the arena. This brought about the three consecutive Victories for my District.”

“You did a good job.” She told me. “Do you want any allies?” She then asked me.

My eyes widened as I looked at her. “Allies? You mean you are asking me if I want to be your ally?”

“You don’t have to I completely understand. If I don’t win just try your hardest to win. You seem like a good person and your parents-“

“I’ll be your ally”

She held out her hand and we shook on it.

“But I don’t want anyone else in our group. Just me and you, its less complicated this way.” I finished.

Five minutes later after we became allies, Cinna and Ace joined us. A few minutes after them came along my mentor Lexidous. We began chatting and Cinna and Ace were happy that Katniss had an ally like myself. The three trusted me entirely. The only person who had a problem with me having a Career as an ally was Lexidous.

She pulled me aside and chastised me saying that I was setting myself up to be murdered. She didn’t trust anyone and it was because she picked the wrong allies and almost died because they turned on her.

After a hasty argument Haymitch came along and snubbed Lexidous away. He told her that I had better judgement then she ever did and that she was a useless Mentor. Now I would be on my own in the arena. I am pretty sure Lexidous was gonna try her hardest to make sure my life or what little life I had in the arena was hell.

Haymitch gave me a hug and told me to keep my head up and follow my instinct before he headed off to go looking for some liquor. I returned to the table and then turned in for the night. In less then a week I would be stepping into the arena for what could possibly be the last time.