Chapter 20

I stared at the man that just entered the room and closed the door behind himself. This wasn't the same man that had collected me from the auction today. This man was younger and handsome entirely. He looked strong and healthy, around his early to mid 20's.

"Who are you?" I asked him.

"Jackson H Ripper" He spoke. That is a weird name. "You are probably wondering why I bought you." he said to me.

I nodded my head in a slow jerky movement.

"I bought you with the intention of marrying you." He said. "You must think I am a shallow person for having to buy love." I nodded my head slowly agreeing with his last statement. "I bought your freedom hoping that someday we can grow to love each other."

I inclined my head and looked at him. "I have freedom?" I asked him.

"Yes, within the boundaries of the estate. Not strings attached I just want you to be comfortable." He told me.

This handsome man before me wanted me to be comfortable. It still shocked me that he didn't want me for sex or anything else.

"Am I your maid?" I asked him.

"No, we have Avoxes for those purposes." He moved over to my side and sat down. "Just pretend like we are roomates and I am courting you."

His handsome face was a foot away from mine. His gaze was sure and handsome but I could tell from his body language that he was shy and resistant.

"I don't have a choice to marry you do I?" I asked him.

He slowly shook his head. "My father wants me to marry and that is why you are here. That is the intended goal." He said.

"Are you being forced to do this?" I asked as I looked at him.

"Yes. I either marry or die. If I die you die."

My eyes widened slightly as I listened to him telling me his ultimatum. Apparently we were both being dealt unfair hands. I was being sold and he was being forced to marry. If it didn't work out we would both be slaughtered.

I would do anything to be at home with my family right now. I wondered how my mother and father would doing. Were they still in mourning, did they get my fake ashes? Maybe they were trying to have another baby to replace me and my brother or maybe they were so enraged at their losses that they killed themselves. The last one was not likely but the others were.

I looked at him and felt my face heat up and my eyes grow wet. I knew I was crying but I didn't care. I moved to Jacksons side and he embraced me.

"I know this must be hard for you but I will be whoever you need me to be. A friend, a protector, a brother." He said comfortingly.

"A lover." I finished as he hesitated.

"A lover." He repeated.

I cried in his arms for a few minutes before I spoke again.

"I miss my family."

"I know." He replied.