Chapter 17

Tierney and I ran as far away from our campsite as possible. I wanted to get away to keep Tierney safe. I had no idea what direction we were running in but anywhere was better then back there. Tierney began growing tired so I ended up lifting her onto my back. She was really light, probably not even 80 lbs. It surprised me that I was still running.

After running for who knows how long I had to stop. I looked around and found a tree and decided to take refuge up in its thick branches. I helped Tierney up and then climb on after her. We moved high enough up to be shielded by the thick branches and leaves and then rested.

"I'm going to die aren't I?" Tierney asked.

I carefully moved Tierney to my side and held her in my arms. "I won't let you die. I promise."

"What about Katniss? She will kill me." Tierney said again.

"I won't let her. If she tries to kill you I will kill her myself." I said.

I felt the truth behind me words and knew I meant it. I loved Tierney and I wouldn't let anything happen to her. Even if it meant I had to kill a friend to protect her.

We sat silently and Tierney eventually fell asleep. It wasn't long before the sun began rising. There were four of us left. Four of us, three that needed to die. We didn't move from our spot in the tree until the sun was over head indicating that it was noon. We slid down and headed on towards the direction of the Cornucopia. It couldn't be that difficult to find right?

After wandering around aimlessly for five hours we managed to find it. It was around 6 if I had to guess. Tierney and myself walked forward but stopped when we saw her. The final girl tribute outside our circle of three. She had a bow just like myself and it was aimed right at my chest.

This was nice, I was about to be murdered. I was going to fail at protecting Tierney. We were going to die.

"Lower your weapon or I'll kill you!" I heard Katniss' shout.

I looked over in time to see the girl with the bow turn around and shoot Katniss straight through the heart. She screamed and fell to the ground and then she was gone.

In one swift movement I set my bow and shot the girl. Just like Katniss she screamed and then the cannon last announed her death. There were two left. Me and Tierney. I crossed the field and got the knife from Katniss' hand and then moved back to Tierney's side.

"Please don't hurt me." Tierney whined.

I set the knife by my side and took Tierney's hands into my own. "Listen. It's time for me to go. When I'm dead you'll be free from this mess okay." Tierney began crying. "I love you Tierney."

"Please don't leave me" She cried.

I leaned forward and kissed her on the forehead. "Be a good girl." I whispered.

With one hand I picked up the knife and stabbed myself in the chest. I groaned in pain as I ripped the knife from my chest and and dropped it on the ground.

"Aloe!" Tierney cried as I collapsed to the ground. She moved to my side and took my hand. "Please don't leave me!" She cried.

I smiled weakley as I lifted my hand to her face. "There is no reason to be afraid anymore" I whispered as I stared into her eyes. Somewhere off in the distant I heard a cannon blast and I knew I was dead.