Chapter 1: Blue

AN: Currently on hiatus. I do hope to get back to this story eventually, but I don't know when, if at all, it will happen. I'm sorry, but I hope you can still enjoy what there is!

Akashi placed his hand on top of Kuroko's hand and watched the smaller boy sleep for a few minutes. The boy in the bed was frail. Bags under his eyes spoke of exhaustion despite sleeping nearly all day every day. His skin was tinted with hints of blue from lack of oxygen in his blood despite the oxygen tube inserted in his nose. There was the slightest hint of yellow tinge to his otherwise pale skin as well and the usual bruises that littered his body from the slightest things. Like the rest of him, his hand was cold. Akashi brushed the bluenettes hair from his forehead and placed a quick gentle kiss before leaving the room.

+

"Dr. Midorima, Akashi Seijūrō is here to see you. Shall I send him in?"

Dr. Midorima looked up from his papers at the nurse in the doorway and nodded.

"Please."

"Right away, doctor." The nurse hurried off and returned with Akashi. Once Akashi had stepped into the office, she scurried off again.

"I take it, you don't have good news." Akashi stated as he took a seat on the couch, back straight, legs crossed, and the best poker face he could manage.

"I got the results back from the latest tests. Not much has changed. He hasn't quite gained a pound yet and his lung function is continuing to deteriorate. His liver and kidney function haven't shown any significant changes, although I didn't expect them too. We are successfully managing his electrolytes so the threat of seizures has decreased, however his blood pressure and blood sugar levels are still too low. It could certainly be worse......" Dr. Midorima tailed off letting his words sink in.

"It could be better. How much time does he have?"

"I didn't say he was going to die. His chances of a full recovery may not be desirable, but they definitely exist. These things take time. We have to reintroduce his body to food slowly to avoid risking further damage to his health."

"What if his body...." Akashi felt ashamed as the tears jumped from his eyes. He didn't want to cry, but he was scared. It was taking too much time when time wasn't abundant.

"Akashi....." Dr. Midorima stood from his chair and moved to sit by the red head. He gently patted his back with one hand and offered some tissues with the other, which Akashi accepted. "Have faith in him."

Akashi blew his nose and nodded. "I should go. He might be awake." The red head stood taking a moment to compose himself before leaving. The doctor sighed and went back to his work. Seeing people break down was one of the hard parts of his job and one of his least favorite parts.