Chapter 19: Healing

Most of the day was spent sleeping. It was safer. He tried to distract himself while awake for a short while, but when it failed, he chose to sleep. He absolutely did not want to mess up. Perhaps he would be stronger tomorrow, but for today, he was not, so he slept.

To say he was relieved when he felt a warm body next to him was an understatement. Unfortunately, that relief didn't last long. When he opened his eyes, Akashi was frowning down at him.

"Sei-kun? Wh...what's wrong?"

"Did you sleep all day?" He asked with a hint of disbelief in his voice. Kuroko nodded.

"Most of it."

"And you never once needed something?"

"I was okay."

"Tetsuya...." Akashi warned. "You didn't once text."

"I didn't want to bother you." Kuroko explained sheepishly. He was figuring out where this was going.

"You didn't once ask the staff for anything."

"I didn't want to bother them." Kuroko replied again as he tried to burry himself under the comforter. Akashi wasn't letting him hide though.

"Staff exist to be bothered. We pay them for a reason."

"You pay them. They work for you." Kuroko interrupted in a very matter-of-fact tone. Akashi gave him a stern look and shook his head.

"You are part of this household. They work for you now too. And don't think I've forgotten that you never contacted me either. I know what's going through your mind, Tetsuya." Akashi chided with a knowing tone and warning glare before softening his expression. "I promise you, you are not a burden."

Akashi paused to chuckle slightly at his lovers wide eyes.

"I'm sorry...."

"I forgive you. Will you come to dinner with me? My father will be there, so you don't have to, but I would like you to."

Kuroko nodded. He didn't mind Akashi's father. He just spent the weekend sitting at meals with six other people. Two people didn't seem so bad. Maybe it was a bit awkward since he hadn't really talked to Akashi's father much and barely knew him, but that was okay.

He would be okay. It was just a dinner table. It was just food. There was nothing scary about that. Having others see him eat wasn't scary. Watching other people eat wasn't scary. Kuroko just needed to remind himself that on repeat and it would be okay. Nothing scary. Absolutely nothing. And Akashi was smiling and kissing his forehead. Going to dinner made Akashi happy. How could something that made his lover be scary?

Okay.....so that last thought should probably be thrown in the trash. Plenty of scary things probably made his boyfriend happy, but that wasn't the point. This wasn't murder. This was dinner. Simple. Normal. Not scary. That's what he told himself all weekend and it worked. So that's what he told himself now as he forced a slightly strained smile to his lips.

Akashi smiles back, stood and fetched the wheel chair but when he turned around, Kuroko was standing. His legs were shaky and he was partially holding himself up with his hand on the night table, but he was standing.

"What are you doing?" Akashi eyed him suspiciously.

"I can walk." Kuroko pouted. His eyes were determined but the rest of him didn't seem so sure as it shook like a leaf.

"You can walk? All the way to the dining room? Really now Tetsuya? You're tired. Sit in the chair." He ordered with a slight threat to his tone. He brought the wheel chair over and tried to help Kuroko into it, but Kuroko resisted.