Chapter TwentyThree

APOV

I nodded slowly and she clapped her hands. "Yay!" Her light hazel eyes studied me. I noticed Ms. Hathaway doing to the same thing.

"Ms. Hathaway, Mr. Mazur, just know I'm not going to do anything until it's apparent that Rose's thinking straight. If you'll excuse me, I should feed her."

The doctors would not let Rose out of the hospital. By the end of the week she was sweating and groaning in pain. She'd tried to leave multiple times and they'd restrained and medicated her. They stopped letting us visit her. Only immediate family was allowed in. That meant only her mother. No Moroi. Rose wasn't too thrilled from what I'd heared. Alexa was in tears. She only wanted to see her mother but she wouldn't go without me.

"How about I take you shopping tomorrow?" I asked her one night. I'd found her in her room at ten in the morning bawling on her bed. She sniffled and nodded slowly. She wiped her eyes and smiled very slightly.

"Can you lay with me?" She asked quietly. I thought silently of the beer I'd set out in the kitchen. I looked at her hopeful face and nodded in defeat. I shut off her lights and sat on top of the covers. She snuggled into my arms. "I love you Adrian." She mumbled falling asleep in my arms.

RPOV

I threw up this morning. A nurse held the bucket for me. I hate hospitals. I always have and I always will. I was being kept here against my will, and chained to the bed. How this was any different than Nathan's I had no idea. The nurse left me to clean the bucket and my mother walked in. I fell back onto the bed and stared at the ceiling. "Where's Alexa?" I croaked. Mom sat on my bed and rested her hand on mine.

"She's not allowed in here." She said. I growled, still not looking at her. "Rose... Adrian told me you wanted him to take custody of your daughter..." I rolled my eyes.

"What about it?" I bit out.

"Do you really thing that's a wise choice?"

"Do you really think it's your place to talk to me about childcare?" I snapped. Hurt flashed across her face, but I didn't' care. "I can't take care of her mom and I know you don't like Adrian-"

"He drinks."

"He does, but I know him and I know my daughter. Adrian spoke to her all the time. She likes him and it's hard for her to like people."

"But Adrian-"

"Is a good guy. I'm not shipping her off to a... (Cough cough) boarding school. I'm not putting her in a foster care. You're a guardian. Abe Mazur is a mob boss; do not ask me how I know that." Mom rested her hand on mine. I would've pulled back if there hadn't been restraints.

"And if he doesn't want her?" She asked softly. I narrowed my eyes.

"He loves her." I insisted.

"Has he said that?" I didn't answer. "Well then maybe you should ask him. Why not Vasalisa?" I rolled my eyes.

"Please." I scoffed. Mom shook her head.

"Look, Rose, your father and I talked and we're sending you to a rehabilitation clinic in New York." I tried to sit but failed

"Excuse me?" Did she really just say what I thought she said?

"It's for endorphin addicts, Moroi and Dhamphirs alike. You need it Rose. Look at you." I looked at the ceiling.

"No." I said, practically growling. Mom patted my hand and stood up.

"Well." She said with her back to me. "I'm sorry that it's come this. But it's not your choice to make."