Chapter 1

"Follow me first years!" Hagrid shouted as my brother and I got off the Hogwarts train.

The whole year group and I followed Hagrid through a small forest to the self-rowing boats. As I got on a boat with my brother and his friends, Crabbe, and Goyle, I could see the top of Hogwarts Castle. The boats rowed us over the lake by themselves and got out of them when they stopped.

We followed Hagrid to Hogwarts Castle and up many flights of stairs. He stopped and we did too. "Wait here." He said before walking off.

I looked around me at the rest of the students.

"So the roomers are true then. The famous Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." I heard my brother say. "The name's Draco Malfoy and this is Crabbe and Goyle and my sister River. Come with us and we can do great things together. You don't want to be seen with the wrong kind, do you now, Potter?" Draco practically spat in his face.

Harry looked between Draco, Crabbe, Goyle and I. I felt like he was judging me because of my brother. Then Harry looked at Hermione and Ron, who were glaring at us. They didn't even know us and they were judging us. "I think I can choose my friends for myself, thanks." Harry said.

Professor Mcgonagall, head of Gryffindor House, appeared out of nowhere. "That's enough out of you Mr Malfoy." She glared at my brother, who backed away, stepping down a few steps and standing next to me. "Right. First years in a moment you will go through these doors." She motioned behind her. "You will be sorted into you houses and then the feast will begin. So if you'll all follow me."

The whole year and I followed Professor Mcgonagall through two large doors and into The Great Hall. We walked in between the tables and stopped at the top of the hall in front of a podium.

Professor Dumbledore stepped up onto the podium. "Welcome back to another year at Hogwarts. Welcome to our new First Year. I would also like to welcome our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher Professor Quirrell." The whole hall erupted with noise of people clapping and whistling.

Professor Quirrell stood from his seat and waved shyly at the students. He looked at the ground, not making any eye contact and the sat down again.

Professor Dumbledore continued after silencing the room. "Mr Filch has asked me to remind you that the Forbidden Forest and the third floor corridor on the west side are out of bounds and any students caught there will be expelled. Now for the Sorting Ceremony."

Professor Mcgonagall brought out the Sorting Hat and a list of our names. "Lets see who's first." She said. "Ah! Ronald Weasley."

Ron reluctantly went up to Professor Mcgonagall. He swallowed thickly as the Sorting Hat was put on his head.

"Ah! Another Weasley." The Sorting Hat paused for a moment. "Better be Gryffindor."

The students of Gryffindor House cheered as Ron took a seat next to them.

"Hermione Granger." Professor Mcgonagall said.

Hermione went over to Professor Mcgonagall and crossed her fingers as the Hat was placed on her head.

"This in an easy one. Gryffindor." The Hat said.

The students of Gryffindor House cheered again as Hermione took a seat next to them, smiling happily as she made her way over to the table.

"Harry Potter." Professor Mcgonagall called.

The Sorting Hat did a lot of debating after he was put on Harry's head. He came to a conclusion and announced "Gryffindor."

The students of Gryffindor House cheered once again as Harry took a seat next to them. He smiled widely at Ron and Hermione and shook hands with the prefect.

"Draco Malfoy." Mcgonagall announced after Gryffindor House had settled down after gaining a celebrity, Harry Potter, the boy who lived.

Before the Hat was even put on my brother's head it announced "Slytherin."

The students of Slytherin House cheered as Draco took a seat next to them. He smiled, he had the same evil grin as our father. He looked at me and nodded his head.

"River Malfoy." Professor Mcgonagall announced.

I stepped up and the Hat was placed on my head. I bit my lip nervously. "Hmmm..." The Hat said. He thought for a moment. "I think Sl- Gryffindor." He changed his mind at the last moment.

Instead of cheering there was a lot of confusion.

"A Malfoy in Gryffindor, the hat must be broken." A boy shouted.

"Malfoy's have been in Slytherin for centuries. What's so different about this one?" Another shouted.

There was an uproar of shouting and confusion before Professor Dumbledore shouted "Silence." Even he and Professor Mcgonagall seemed a little confused.

The whole hall fell silent.

"Please take a seat in Gryffindor House, River." Professor Dumbledore asked.

I did as I was told and sat at the Gryffindor table. I sat as far from the other students as possible with my head hanging down. I didn't pay attention while the other students were sorted.

When the feast was served I didn't eat, I just stared at my empty plate. I could feel Professor Dumbledore and Professor Mcgonagall watching me, talking about me.