Chapter 11

Flying lessons, I hate them! That's all I'm going to say. I can't work a broomstick. I always fall off and everyone laughs at me, everyone... except Hermione. But that's not the point, I'm the class fool. I don't want to do it.

I walked up to the rest of the class alone. Hermione was with Harry and Ron. They were her friends and I knew she needed to spend time with them but I felt lonely... like an outsider. I missed her. With her I didn't feel as awkward as I do right now.

The professor gave us some instructions and the rest of the class carried them out. I stared down at the broomstick. It rolled around the ground as if it was desperate to get moving.

"River, you are the only one who hasn't done as I asked." The professor said calmly.

I swallowed. Great, now I'm in trouble. I looked up at the professor. "I'm sorry." I whispered.

"Do them now." The professor said.

By now the whole class was watching me. Great! Here comes some humiliation.

I began carrying out the instructions.

"You can do it, River." Hermione smiled softly, an encouraging glint in her eye.

Can you guess how it ended? ... in disaster! Exactly how I expected it to go.

I tried hovering like the teacher told me but the broomstick turned upside down and I fell off, landing on the ground with a loud thump. I broke my right arm and blacked out.