Chapter 12

( I want to thank @stevonnie4life  for the idea for this chapter - what if Rivers family comes to Hawgwarts and sees Hermione and River together. )

'Family Day! Oh god! No!' I thought. I couldn't stand the thought of my family coming to Hogwarts.

I stared down at the food in front of me, loosing my appetite.

"Hey." Hermione sat down beside me. "I'm so excited to see my family."

"Mine will spend the whole day with my brother... probably." I mumbled.

"That's not fair." Hermione said. "We can share my parents... if you'd like."

I swallowed and looked up at her, giving her a shy smile. "That would be nice... thank you."

*****

Hermione and I stood in the Great Hall, waiting for Hermione's parents.

I spotted my parents walking in. Of course they didn't even notice me, they went straight to Draco.

This hurt me. I needed my family but they didn't care about me.

Shaking the thought from my head, I forced a smile as Hermione's parents walked up to us and hugged their daughter.

"Hermione, who's your friend?" Her father asked.

"Dad, this is River. She'll be joining us today." Hermione said.

"It's nice to need you." I shook Hermione's parents hands.

"I don't mean to be rude, but where are your parents?" Hermione's mother asked.

"Um..." I shuffled nervously, glancing at my brother and parents.

They were staring at me, looking angry.

"Mum!" Hermione said shocked.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you." Hermione's mother said softly.

"It's fine." I mumbled.

"Why don't we give you the grand tour?" Hermione suggested.

Hermione's parents nodded.

"Sounds like a swell idea." Hermione's father nodded with approval.

*****

As we turned towards the Gryffindor common room, we ran into my brother and parents.

"River." My dad said coldly.

I couldn't look at him.

"Ah these must be your parents." Hermione's mother said. "It's nice to meet you." She he's out her hand.

"Likewise." My mother said. "River you're coming with us." She grasped my shoulder.

"What?! Why?!" I asked.

My mother never answered me. She dragged me away from Hermione and her family and hat was the last I saw of them on Family Day.

*****

We ended up in Dumbledore's office and I was sitting in a chair with the Sorting Hat on my head.

"He must have been wrong." My father said.

"Hmm..." The Hat hummed. "No... Hmm... I stand by my decision. This girl is a Gryffindor."

"Rubbish!" My father screamed, hitting the hat off my head.

"Mr Malloy, that hat is never wrong." Dumbledore said calmly.

"Well.. this time it is." My father said angrily. "She's a Malfoy. She's definitely a Slytherin."

Dumbledore shook his head. "The hat is never wrong." He repeated. "I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

My father took a deep breath and glared at me.

"Let's finish the tour, dad." Draco said, leading my parents out of the room.