Chapter 15

River avoided Hermione, Ron and Harry as much as possible over the next week. She didn't want another event occurring like the one at dinner. Plus, she was now afraid of Ron and didn't want anything to do with him. She kept her head down and didn't even answer questions in class, not wanting to draw attention to herself. River walked to class alone and ate in the Great Hall alone. Her brother and his friends took this as an opportunity to corner her and torture her, which they did on many occasions.

River clung to her portions book as she pushed the door open to her room. She hung her head low and trained her eyes on the floor. Her four roommates, including Hermione, turned to look at her. The three red-headed girls turned to each other and whispered to each other, giggling. Hermione kept her eyes on the blonde as she crossed the room and dropped her books on her bed.

River hissed in pain, her brother had broken her arm with a spell and it was really sore. She slumped down on her bed and ran her hand through her hair, her eyes closed. She ignored the whispering from the other girls in the room. River had become used to the whispering again, it was like they'd just started at Hogwarts again... nothing had changed.

Hermione sighed. She glared at the two girls sitting beside her and got up off the bed. She moved over to River. "Hi." She said softly.

River gave her no response, staying silent and detached from the older girl.

Hermione didn't they the 'silent treatment' bother her, instead, she sat down on the bed beside River and pulled her wand from her pocket. She cleared her throat and raised the want, pointing it to River's swollen arm. She cast a spell and repaired the broke bone.

River opened her eyes in surprise when the pain disappeared. "Huh?" She looked down at her arm and then back up at Hermione, who gave her a kind smile. "Thank you." She said quietly.

Hermione's smile grew. "You spoke to me... you finally spoke to me." She three her arms around River. "Thank you." She pecked the younger girl's cheek.

River's heart raced in her chest. She couldn't hide the big goofy smile on her face. "I did." She stayed simple with a nod.

______

A/N -  sorry for the long wait but I've graduated school now so hopefully I'll have loads of time to write. Any ideas for what to do next? Comment or PM me. :) All the bed, caitlinneil7