Chapter 27

Lizzie's POV

There was no other feeling than regret. I felt nothing else at the discovery that it was in fact Joey's body being stolen by the metal claw. Tiff screamed and I could do nothing but run. I ran and ran and ran until I cam back to the clearing we were in. No sign of Meghan. "Come on where the fuck can she be" I cried quietly until I heard a distant shout from Tiff. "Lizzie here, help please." The sudden plead brought fear to my chest as I sprinted through the trees towards Tiff's voice.

I stumbled across Tiff knelt down behind a bush that overlooked a river. She grabbed my arm and pulled me down behind the leafy cover. "What are you doing? We need to find Meghan?!" I cried out at her but she put her hand over my mouth and pointed to a gap in the bush. I peered through and saw Meghan being held against the tree by a familiar figure.

Evelina.

I wriggled free from Tiffs grip and stumbled into the field of view of both Meghan and Evelina. Meghan looked beyond defeated and as if any fight she attempted to give was weak and underdeveloped. Evelina had her by the collar of her suit and was holding her against the rough bark of an old tree. Evelina turned to face me and a smile came back across her face. "Ah, pinky, we meet again" I nodded slowly and took small steps towards her. "Let her go" I tried to say defiantly but it came out as more of a muffled sob. Evelina giggled and dropped Meghan to the floor. She slid down the bark of the tree and just collapsed at the bottom. "I'll finish her later then" She smiled evilly and approached me with an aim in her eyes. I caught view of Tiff dragging Meghan from view and breathed a sigh of relief.

Before I knew it, Evelina had backed me up as far as the bush I had been hidden behind moments prior. I was ready to accept that I wasn't going to make it out of this one, when I heard a scream from behind Evelina's ghostly shadow. She turned her head and saw Tiff running towards her with a weapon in hand. I fell to the floor as Tiff attacked Evelina from behind. I crawled from underneath the brawl and towards the area Tiff had been seen dragging Meghan. I had to get her out and to relative safety. I found my feet and stumbled through the bracken. I tripped and fell over what I later recognised to be Meghan's leg. She was emotionless and stiff. I crawled up next to her and prayed against the sound of the twice repeated cannon. Tiff was gone. 

Hopefully, so was Evelina.