Chapter 20: A canon (Meghan)

Chapter 20: A canon

(Meghan's POV)

After sitting at the base of the tree for a couple of minutes I stood up motioning for Joey to follow. I wanted to find Lizzie because I couldnt bear not seeing her amazing smile, her light blue eyes that lit up whenever I made a joke and her amazing personality. It was almost as if a part of me was missing. I climbed to one of the top branches of a nearby tree, too quickly for Joey's liking "Careful Meghan" Hehissed with a sense of anxiety. I motioned to him to tell him that I was okay and he just needed to calm down ad stop being so protective I didnt want him to distract me. My eyes searched the vast landscape for any signs of a tribute or a fight. Nothing. The landscape was smooth and undisturbed which just made it even harder for me and Joey to even begin to try to hunt down Lizzie's whereabouts. We would just have to hope, that was all we could do.

The arena was a harsh winter forest that seemed to never stop snowing. Tall and elegant mountains caged us into a certain valley that had steep sloping hills. Joey looked at me as we ducked under a low pine tree branch. His nose was a gentle pink and his cheeks were coloured the same way. I smiled but he didnt return it. I knew why and I didnt want to bring it up. The snow muffled out the sound of the canon but there definitely was one and my eyes blurred when I saw the figure being hoisted by the claw. Lizzie was alone I tugged at Joeys arm beginning to sprint towards where the body had been lifted from, knowing that Lizzie wouldnt have killed Mitty herself, meaning there was another tribute near her. Joey followed me to where I had thought the claw had risen from, I pushed the pine needles away with my hands that were sore and throbbing for the spikes on the needles. The snow semi blinded me but I didnt care, all I kept in mind was that we were on a journey to get back Lizzie from the hands of instant danger, we loved her too much to leave her there.

I saw the cornucopia through the gap between the shivering leaves. There, lying on her back, she had given up fighting. From the corner of my eye, I saw them, another tribute, taking their opportunity to get an easy kill. Lizzie was prey. The only way I could stop this, was if I became the predator.