Chapter 21: So Close (Lizzie)

Chapter 21~ Lizzie~

She came out of no where. Her footsteps on the grass caused my eyes to reopen and my tears to cease falling. I didnt know who it was, but I knew how they made me feel. I didnt care if they killed me, let me die, Mitty had, I would as well. So instead of hurriedly getting up I stayed rock still, waiting for the pain or the words of torment. but they never came. Instead I heard a familiar scream erupt from my right,. I sat up and turned to see Meghan running from the tree line towards... Tiff. I screamed at Meghan to stop as I knew Tiff wouldnt kill me, we were friends, right?. Tiff held up her hands but ran towards me. I got up and she jumped into my arms. "Stop Meghan stop, shes a friend" I breathed in relief. Meghan carried on running towards us but wasnt running for Tiff any more. She ran towards me and wrapped her arms around my neck. "Im so sorry" she whispered into my ear "It seems like all they want to do is take everyone you love". Meghan was crying for me. "That just means you need to hold him," I pointed at Joey "Closer ok?" I told her and she nodded. Joey walked over and hugged me whilst Tiff introduced herself to Meghan "I wasnt going to kill her I promise, we are really close" Tiff tried to explain to Meghan. She was trembling. "I know" Meghan said smiling and she embraced Tiff as well. Tiff smiled and stopped shaking so much, but she was still crying, her and Mitty were close. I threw a smile in her direction.

Joey shepherded our little group to a safer place because being in the middle of the cornucopia wasnt the best idea when there are plenty of people who would be willing to kill us, in order for them to survive. But I still, to his day, dont know why I bothered with thinking about safety first, the arena was never safe. If only I had bothered about safety when Joel was walking straight into the trap of another tribute, if only I hadnt of been so stupid. I slapped myself on the wrist and Tiff saw this, She moved next to me and put her arm around my shoulders "I know everyone has told you this, but he will always love you and he knew you loved him" She said, I looked up at her and shook my head "I watch all the other couples and regret that I never made it clear to him that he was my everything" Tiff shook her head back at me, when I was still in your district, even I could see how much you loved him, I know he new you loved him"

~Flashback~

His eyes lit up at the idea of a game. I ran up the hill behind our house and he pursued me. I could hear him giggling as he reached out to grab me by the waist. I felt his hands wrap around me and he spun me around, I pulled away but he just gripped me tighter "Dont leave me" He whispered holding my hand. I took a step closer to him and stood on my toes, "I would never consider it" I whispered back and he kissed me under the summer sun.

~End Of Flashback~