Chapter XIX

"Just because you keep trying to do the right thing, doesn't mean you're guaranteed a happy ending." ~Junko Kaname (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Aina groggily woke to the sounds of shouts from the outside. Normally, it wouldn't bother her since she usually kept the windows closed, but in that one night she decided to leave the window open because there was a nice breeze. Aina leaned out the open window to see what was the after and caught the strong scent of smoke nearby. Squinting through the haze of heat, she saw a house on fire.

And not just any house.

Akari's house.

Eyes widened and no regard for her own safety Aina leapt out of the second-story bedroom window and landed on the ground, crouching. She sprinted towards the burning house, seeing people carrying containers full of water in order to extinguish the fire. A wall of fire blocked the front door.

Aina summoned her Keyblade and slashed upwards, leaving a cut of water to fly at the door and extinguish it. She tire the charred door off its hinges and ignored the shouts for Aina to stay back as she bolted inside the house. She climbed up the burning stairs two at a time at almost tripped over something but stopped herself when she saw what she was about to trip over.

Her eyes bugged out as she covered her mouth in horror. At the top of the stairs, laid the body of Itsuki. A bad feeling began to form in her stomach as Aina slowly stepped over Itsuki's body, as if he was about to sprout up and come back to life on the spot. Once she was over him, she ran straight to Akari's door, which was already open.

And the sight in front of her made almost want to vomit.

There, laying on her back, arms spread and palm up, was Akari. In one of her hands laid the Keyblade, which told Aina she didn't go down without a fight. But regardless, she still was dead.

A bit distance away was the cradle that Sakura slept in. Aina took slow and careful steps towards it, hoping that maybe the baby was still inside it and maybe she was just quiet and didn't realize her house was ablaze. But once Aina looked inside it, she broke.

The cradle, besides the disheveled blankets, was empty. The baby wasn't there. With her gone, anything could happen to her. And Aina couldn't stop whoever took Sakura.

Aina no longer cared she was inside a burning house, or the corpses of the one she held dead laid around her. The only promise Aina made to Akari and the only thing she asked of the girl was already broken. She sank to her knees as she placed her hands next to Akari's corpse, crying, "Akari...I'm sorry!" I sobbed. "I failed to carry out my promise! Who did this to you? What am I going to do now? You were the only person who understood me and I could confide into! Akari!"

Even after watching everyone she knew and held dead get slaughtered, nothing filled her with this much grief as to finding Akari dead and Sakura missing. Footsteps ran up the stairs and people burst into the room. They gasped at the scene; Itsuki was at the top of the stairs, dead. Akari on the ground, dead. Sakura's cradle empty. The sight of Aina on her knees, sobbing.

They quickly covered the corpses and took them away. They helped Aina up and took her out of the burning home. They tried speaking to her in order to comfort her in the time of despair.

But, nothing will be able to fill that hole of regret that pierced her heart.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Guys my friends sent me this and I'm w h e e z i n g