➰Chapter Twenty-seven➰

Chapter Twenty-seven

Leah panted heavily. She could feel the sweat dripping down her forehead, but she pushed aside all desires of quitting and taking a warm shower. That was not her main priority. Right now, all that mattered was that she focused and stayed alive.

She had been hanging upside down for over forty minutes now. She could hear Clary's tired breaths beside her, but it didn't comfort her. She knew that if they moved, the demon would sense them and they would become its breakfast. Leah's stomach gurgled, making her hold the urge to wince. When was the last time she had eaten anything? She couldn't remember. Isabelle's cuisine had made her have a more resistant appetite, though, so it could have been days.

"I... Can't... Hold... Any... Longer..." Clary gasped, making Leah widen her eyes, hoping she wouldn't let go of the bar.

"Don't you dare!" Leah snapped at the smaller, slimer, version of herself. "Clary, I mean it—"

"Sorry, I can't resist any longer," she said,giving her an apologetical look. "Tell mom I love her."

"CLARY!" Leah watched as her sister let go and fell two meters down, landing on her feet easily. She sighed heavily and considered her options. She could either let go herself and face certain death with Clary or she could stay where she was and save her own butt.

The answer was clear the moment she landed next to Clary, her seraph blade already out, as she stretched it with her arm. She felt proud that she had finally mastered said landing, as it had taken her countless hours of training with Isabelle and about six trips to the infirmary. But there was no time to feel self-indulgent when a ten-feet-tall, slimy, posibly hungry Behemoth demon was slithering its way towards them.

"Our blades won't work!" Clary said, positioning herself next to Leah, holding the position Isabelle had taught them. Supposedly, if they stood their ground while fighting, it was not likely they would lose their grip on their weapon or fall over, but Leah was certain no position or move could keep them from being swallowed whole by a pile of black goo with razor-sharp teeth.

"If we keep striking at it, we might slow its healing down." Leah replied, her forest-green eyes piercing through the demon on her mind. If only she could get close enough, she was certain she could be able to strike the monster hard enough for Clary to make a run for it, but her partner apparently had other ideas.

"Take this, you creme brulee freak!" Clary shouted, as she ran up to the demon and struck with her blade with all her force. As soon as the blade made contact with the demon, though, Clary realized she had made a huge mistake. The seraph blade was immediately absorbed by the gooie creature and disappeared.

"Why do you always do that?" Leah rolled her eyes in annoyance.

The demon responded to Clary's attack by launching itself towards her, snatching her foot with a single snapping of its jaw-like mouth and making her trip face-first to the ground. She yelped when she realized she was in trouble. "Leah?!"

Leah rolled her eyes in annoyance but hurried to grab Clary's hand, and pulled back with all her might, trying to get the demon to let go of her, unsuccessfully. "It's too strong!"

"Save yourself!" Clary cried in desperation. "Tell Simon not to use my laptop when I'm gone, though."

This was enough to make Leah let go of her and sigh heavily, while Clary remained smiling, resting her face on her hands as if she were enjoying the nice weather at the beach. The demon still had her foot caught in its mouth, but Leah could no longer bring herself to take all this seriously. "Can't you at least pretend you're scared? Not even for the sake of the simulation?"