➰Chapter Forty-five➰

Chapter Forty-five

"I can't believe she's actually keeping this ridiculous showdown," Leah groaned, as she watched her little sister making out with Simon, in disgust.

Maia, who stood in front of her, in the other side of the bar, chuckled as she shook her head. "Is that your little sister?"

"Unfortunately," Leah sighed.

"Well, I hope I'm not intruding, but she's actually kind of cute," Maia raised an eyebrow. "You know, taking away the fact that you two are related and all."

"I don't know what is making me more nauseous: my sister's tongue down the vampire's throat, or this conversation," Leah made a gagging sound before she turned to meet Jace's blue eyes, as he entered the Hunter's Moon, much to her suprise. "Jace? What are you doing here?"

"I should ask you the same question," Jace frowned. "I thought you said you couldn't join patrol tonight because you were helping Clary?"

"I am," Leah nodded towards the couple a few feet from them. "I'm chaperoning. Luke feels like they shouldn't be allowed into a bar on their own, you know, given how everyone wants to kill Simon and all."

"Hey, but if it isn't the newest member of Shadowhunter royalty," Maia smiled, teasingly eyeing Jace. "Is that true?"

"I don't know. Can it get me free drinks at the Hunter's Moon?" Jace asked, raising an eyebrow cockily.

Maia snorted. "Let's not get crazy."

"So... How are you feeling about all of that?" Leah asked, quickly turning to face him on her seat. "I mean... It's kind of an intense reveal."

"Honestly... I don't know what I am. I've had three different last names in a summer. Now I'm a Herondale," Jace sighed. "All I know is that I'm the same Jace."

"I know," Leah smiled, taking his hand and gently rubbing her thumb over it.

Before Jace could add anything else, though, a tall girl that Leah could recognize anywhere walked towards them, especifically towards Maia. Leah felt her stomach churn, as she felt her Strength rune activate along with a rush of adrenaline. Kaelie.

Jace tensed beside her, making Leah's emotions run even wilder. He cleared his throat awkwardly. "Hey, Kaelie. Long time."

Kaelie seemed deeply annoyed to see the both of them, as she proved when she grabbed a one of the tequila shots on the counter and turned to look at them. "I remember you."

Leah couldn't help but be annoyed at her tone. "Believe me, I remember you, too. You have one of those hard-to-forget asses."

"I hope there's no hard feelings between us—" Jace started, before Kaelie took a step closer to him and dumped all the contents of her tequila shot over Jace's head, making both Maia and Leah gasp in surprise.

Maia started laughing. "Man, you guys make my shift so much more interesting."

"If it makes you feel any better, I would've done the same thing," Leah said while laughing along Maia, as she handed Jace her napkin so that he could dry himself as much as he could.

"It really doesn't," Jace complained, taking the napkin and drying himself with annoyance. "But I'm glad you're finding this humorous."

"Word of advice? I'd spare the Downworlder charm for a little bit. That Soul-Sword you ignited killed a whole lot of them," Maia said, taking a more serious expression. She then walked away without another word, but Leah could feel how much her words had affected Jace.