➰Chapter Fifty➰

Chapter Fifty

"Hey. Got any leads on Jontahan?" Alec said, as Jace and Leah walked into his office early that morning.

Leah shook her head, before showing him the empty box she'd found earlier. "Not really. And now our only lead is gone."

"Now we have nothing," Clary sighed, as she entered the room soon after them. Jace had told her about the box earlier, in hopes that maybe she'd taken the contents inside for safekeeping, but to no such luck.

"Actually, we have less than nothing," Alec replied with a sigh. "The Clave doesn't have the Sould-Sword. They never did."

"No shit, they didn't," Leah snorted. "We were there when it disappeared."

"Yeah, but they told the entire Downworld that they had it," Jace said.

"The Clave is trying to prevent an Uprising. If the Downworld finds out that we don't have the Soul-Sword, there'll be total chaos," Alec explained.

Clary shook her head in disbelief. "But the Sword's been deactivated. It can't be used on Downworlders."

"Not in the way Valentine used it before, but it's still a Mortal Instrument."

"Alec... Is it possible that he might be able to summon Raziel after all?" Leah asked fearfully, worried immediately about all her Downworlder friends, among them, her own mother.

"According to the legend... If he gets the other two Mortal Instruments, he could," Alec replied, and Leah could tell he was as worried as her about this, probably because of Magnus.

"He would need to get the Cup and the Mirror," Jace frowned.

"I thought that was just a legend?" Clary said, raising an eyebrow.

"All the legends are true, aren't they?" Leah rolled her eyes, annoyed at the irony of the phrase.

"The Angel will grant him one wish. Anything he wants," Alec continued with a serious tone.

"He'll be able to end the Downworld. For good this time," Clary realized in horror, as they all exchanged an alarm look that all meant one thing.

Whatever it took, they couldn't allow Valentine to raise Raziel. Whatever it took.

➰➰➰

"Mom!" Leah ran towards Dot as soon as she saw her at the Institute's entrance. "I got your message. Are you okay?"

Dot seemed deeply agitated, which concerned Leah immediately. "I didn't have anywhere else to go. I had no one else to trust, so I came here. Do you remember Elliot?"

Leah nodded while Clary frowned, confused. "Elliot Nourse?"

"Yeah. The guy that used to work with you at Jocelyn's shop," Leah frowned. "What is it?"

"I think something terrible's happened to him, and I'm worried I might be next," Dot said, as she extended her wrist to show them a strange mark that Leah had never seen before. It irradiated energy, much like Shadowhunter runes, but this was definitely not angelic.

"Come with us," Leah said, taking her mother's hand and walking deeper into the Institute. Alec soon joined them.

While Jace filled him in, Clary recalled how she remember Elliot. "After Elliot opened his own shop, we lost touch. But when I was little, Elliot was one of my mom's best friends."

"He introduced me to Jocelyn," Dot admitted, with a smile.

"You think he's in trouble?" Leah asked, as they finally entered Alec's office.