➰Chapter Forty-seven➰

Chapter Forty-seven

Leah yawned, as she drank her first cup of coffee of the day while walking through the Institute's still-empty hallways. She couldn't really sleep, not that it was strange, given the crazy stuff she was living through. She was certain her hair was a complete mess, but she couldn't care less about that. She frowned when she heard the sound of a piano playing through the hallway, which other than that, seemed to be completely quiet.

She followed the sound, making sure she was quiet, as to not interrupt the mystery pianist. She was pleasantly surprised to find Jace, his gaze focused on the piano's keys, playing the melody with a soulful expression. She smiled, leaning on the doorframe while she watched him play. He didn't seem to notice she was there until a few moments later.

"Leah. I didn't hear you coming," Jace said, clearing his throat, seemingly nervous. Leah knew she had to take advantage of that, since she was always the nervous one around him.

She walked towards him and smiled. "I didn't know you played the piano."

"You still don't know a lot of things about me," Jace admitted.

"Who taught you that? Is there like a Shadowhunter Music Academy or something?"

Jace let out a soft laugh, but shook his head. "Actually... It was Valentine."

"Well... That is definitely not what I expected to hear. I guess I'm surprised that he took the time to teach you something like this. Kind of like father-and-son bonding time?"

"Not really. Whenever I would make a mistake, he'd break the offending finger, then iratze my hand and start again."

"That's awful," Leah said quietly. "If you don't mind me asking... How can you still play after something like that?"

Jace shrugged. "Only when the mood strikes."

"Mood?" Leah frowned, unsure of what he meant by that.

They were abruptly interrupted by Clary, who's face peeked from the doorframe. "Sorry to interrupt. Alec is about to make an announcement."

➰➰➰

"We lost seven of our own. But we can't allow a single radical Seelie to define the entire Downworld any more than we can allow Valentine to define all Shadowhunters. So, to restore unity with our allies, I will be hosting regular cabinet meetings here with the Downworld leaders of New York," Alec declared, while every single gaze landed on him.

Isabelle was smiling. "I'm so proud of him."

"You should be. Alec's a born leader," Leah said, nudging her arm playfully.

However, not everybody shared that sentiment, as Leah found out when she overheard two of their colleagues whispering. "I'm all for unity, but does he have to bring them here?"

"What did you expect? He's dating a warlock."

"Still can't believe Alec Lightwood is in charge."

"Just wait. In a week, it'll be someone else."

Leah frowned, but decided not to respond and make a scene. This was Alec's moment to inspire the Shadowhunters in the Institute, and she knew he wouldn't appreciate her going all Social Justice Warrior in the middle of his speech.

"...Please, let's make the Downworlders feel welcome," Alec finished, as everyone scattered and he walked towards his friends.

Jace smiled. "Look at you! A week, and already shaking things up. I think this Cabinet thing is a good idea."