➰Chapter Fifty-two➰

Chapter Fifty-two

"Have you notified the Verlac family yet?" Inquisitor Herondale asked through the computer screen, after Jace had explained everything they'd found about Sebastian.

"Penhallow's daughter, Aline, will deliver the message in person, Madam Inquisitor," Alec replied.

The Inquisitor shook her head, seeming deeply disturbed by the news. "Defiling the body of a fallen soldier and turning it into a booby trap is, sadly, par for the course for Valentine, isn't it?"

"A possessing demon wouldn't have done it on its own," Alec agreed. "The trap could only have been set using the Mortal Cup to command it."

"So he had it all along," The Inquisitor stated.

"And our intel shows he's also in possession of the Mortal Sword."

"Do you have any good news for me today, Mr. Lightwood?"

"Valentine and Jonathan believe that the New York Institute is in possession of the Mortal Mirror. They won't leave the city without it."

"Thank the Angel that at least he wasn't able to find that."

"We were," Alec then turned to Leah and gestured for her to step forward. "Leah?"

She gulped nervously, glancing at Jace for support. He nodded, as she started to explain. "Inquisitor, we believe it was my angelic connection that led us to it. It's in Idris; the Mortal Mirror is Lake Lyn."

The Inquisitor looked taken aback. "That's the very same water tht Raziel first rose from. Who else knows about this?"

"Unfortunately, the number of people we can trust is getting smaller by the day. We thought it best to tell you, first," Jace replied. "And we'd like to officially request soldiers from the Gard to be placed in the surrounding woods around the lake. It may only be a matter of time before Valentine realizes he's been had."

"I'll speak to Consul Malachi about deployment at once," The Inquisitor agreed. "Good hunting."

The screen went black, and the room fell silent. Leah decided to speak what she thought everyone was thinking. "So... What now?"

"There's only nine million people in the metro area," Clary scoffed sarcastically. "How hard could it be to find two?"

"This job is too big to go alone," Alec agreed with Clary, much to Leah's surprise. "We need to ask from help."

Jace frowned. "From who, Alec?"

"Everyone willing to help," Leah replied for him.

➰➰➰

"Where, oh, where is Simon?" a little girl with a golden crown and bright red hair said.

"So, this must be the famous Seelie Queen," Leah said, raising an eyebrow. "I thought she'd be taller."

"Your Highness," Clary spat bitterly. "What an unpleasant surprise."

"Well, I'm sure she didn't mean to—" Alec started.

"No offense, Alec, but I agree with Clary," Isabelle spoke. "Your Majesty, is this another one of your little games?"

"The Institute called an emergency meeting of the Downworld Council. I speak on behalf of the Downworld."

Leah frowned. "You? Speaking for every single Downworlder?"

Alec seemed as confused about this, so he turned to Magnus. "Magnus, is this true?"