➰Chapter Thirty-Eight➰

Chapter Thirty-Eight

"How could you not tell me that?!" Luke yelled, as he scolded Clary, Leah and Jace for not filling him in on the past events.

"The Downworld would be in total chaos if they knew what the Sword could do," Clary defended, but Luke didn't seem convinced.

"There would be Uprisings everywhere," Jace agreed.

"So you're saving the Downworlders from themselves? We never asked," Luke retorted.

"Honestly, we didn't really think Valentine could pull it off. That was, until we learned he had an actual angel captive," Leah admitted. "We didn't want you to worry."

"Well, it's too late for that."

"Look, you don't understand—" Jace started, but was abruptly interrupted by Luke.

"No, I do understand. He has my sister. You three of all people should understand how I feel."

They all looked at each other, knowing well that Luke was right. But there was something else they hadn't told him, and Luke caught on almost immediately. "What else are you not telling me?"

"The angel... He showed us something," Clary said.

"Back on the rooftop, he showed Clary and I a vision of a demon that can destroy the Sword," Leah explained.

"How do you know that that's what he was telling you?" Luke questioned.

"Well... There's pretty much no other way to see it. There was this really ugly demon-looking creature. It grabbed the Sword, and it shattered into ashes," Leah replied, shrugging.

"Then go find that demon. I'll head out and see if that bastard left any clues for us to track him down," Luke said turning around to leave.

➰➰➰

"Magnus, I got your text. I brought the catnip. But I don't—" Leah stopped talking as soon as she saw all the kittens crawling around. "Woah. You weren't kidding about the cat thing."

"Thank you so much! I'll be taking this now," Magnus took the catnip and turned around.

Leah rolled her eyes and starting walking out, before Jace's voice made her stop. "Leah! I... Didn't know you were coming."

"Well, now you can watch me leave," Leah forced a sarcastic smile and started walking out again. Jace stopped her by pulling her back by her wrist.

"Look, I'm sorry that you saw me and Kaelie. If I'd known you were there, I wouldn't done anything to make you uncomfortable."

"Kaelie. So that's her name," Leah muttered bitterly. "Is she a Shadowhunter?"

"Seelie."

"That explains the blue hair," Leah sighed tiredly. "Well, whatever. You're free to do whatever you want."

"Leah... I hate being like this. I miss how you and I used to be able to talk without being at each other's throats all the time."

"Things can't go back to how they used to be, Jace. You know that."

"Trust me, I do," Jace said. "If living at Magnus's place has taught me anything, is that things are definitely not how they used to be."

Leah cracked a smile. "Is it too hard to third wheel for him and Alec?"

"Don't even go there. I know they think they were quiet last night but—" Leah widened her eyes, making Jace realize that she never even consider that. "Oh. Sorry."