➰Chapter Fifty-one➰

Chapter Fifty-one

"We have to go back! We can't let him..."

"Leah, listen to me," Jace said, holding her hands and staring into her eyes intently. "Because of her, Valentine can't raise the Angel. She's a hero."

"But she didn't have to be!" Leah complained. "Jace, I already lost her once. I can't even fathom what I'd do if I lost her again."

"Hey, listen to me," Jace cupped her cheek affectionately. It slowly made her calm her breathing down, although her heart was still beating hard against her chest. "She survived Valentine, she'll survive this. She's a fighter, just like she raised you to be one."

"All of this fighting and bloodshed, but... God, for what?" Clary sighed, opening the Mirror.

"Can I see it?" Leah asked, as Clary nodded and handed it to her. Leah examined it carefully, before being transported back to Lake Lyn.

She was underwater, once again. Except this time, it wasn't herself she was staring at, but the Soul Sword, heading directly in her direction like an arrow in midflight. She yelled in horror, only letting bubbles out of her mouth. The Sword missed her barely, only for her to turn around and see that there was another Soul Sword heading in her direction, but this time, from the opposite side.

"Leah, Leah..."

She broke out of her daze, thanks to Jace's voice. "Are you alright?"

"I had another vision, like my dream. I was back in the lake... Wait. What if these are actually messages?"

"From whom?" Clary asked.

Leah shrugged. "That's exactly what we need to find out."

➰➰➰

"Sorry I'm late. I've been looking everywhere for Max. Has anyone seen him?" Isabelle asked, as she walked toward them once they were in the Ops room.

"Have you tried the armory? He's probably sharpening his blades for his first assignment," Jace suggested.

Isabelle sighed. "I checked."

"We have more pressing matters. Thanks to Dot's help, we now have the Mortal Mirror," Alec started.

"And you have it at the Institute. And it's well guarded, I presume?" Sebastian asked.

"The Elite Guards are the only ones who know its location," Alec assured him. "It's safest that way."

"Jonathan went after Elliot and Dot to get the Mirror," Clary said with a frown.

"You guys know we're his next target, right?" Leah asked, more as a rhetorical question.

"Agreed," Alec responded nonetheless. "Report back with any possible scenarios by which Jonathan and Valentine could attempt a breach."

➰➰➰

"How is he?" Leah asked as soon as she arrived at the Institute's Infirmary.

"Has he been able to talk?" Sebastian asked.

"Not yet. He's still unconscious," Isabelle replied worriedly.

"I don't understand. Who would want to hurt him?" Clary asked.

"I don't know. But I'm going to find out," Alec said, attempting to walk out of the room, before being stopped by Jace.

"Hey. Leah and I will get Robert and Maryse here."